Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 2 to the public, making the first major update to the watchOS software available to all Apple Watch owners. The update requires iOS 9 and can be downloaded over-the-air through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update.

watchOS 2 was originally scheduled to launch on Wednesday, September 16 alongside iOS 9, but Apple delayed the launch in order to address a major bug that was found shortly before the software was set to debut.

As the first significant update to watchOS, watchOS 2 introduces a lot of new features to the Apple Watch, mainly through new developer tools. watchOS 2 brings native apps that run on the watch itself instead of the iPhone, and it lets developers access several sensors and hardware features including the Taptic Engine, heart rate monitor, microphone, and accelerometer.

timelapsewatchfaces-800x297.jpg
The new time-lapse watch faces in watchOS 2​

Along with these features for developers, which will lead to more complex and full-featured third-party apps that run much more smoothly, watchOS 2 also includes new watch faces (photo album and time-lapse), third-party Complications, a tweak that makes the screen stay on for up to 70 seconds when activated, and Activation Lock.

There's also a new Time Travel feature for viewing past and upcoming events in a watch face Complication, and a Nightstand mode that's activated when the watch is charging, displaying the time.

nightstandmode-800x465.jpg
Nightstand mode​

More details on what's new in watchOS 2 can be found in our dedicated watchOS 2 roundup, which includes all of the features the update brings, big and small. Discussion on new features in watchOS 2 is also taking place in our dedicated Apple Watch forum, and we encourage all of our readers to join in with new discoveries and questions about the update.

Article Link: Apple Releases WatchOS 2 With Native App Support, New Watch Faces, Nightstand Mode, and More

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Downloading now. Hour remaining for half a gig download. Wonder if its because their servers are getting hammered? Didn't take this long for iOS 9 to come down and that was bigger. Oh well. Excited!!

Reactions: PotatoLeekSoup

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Downloading now. Hour remaining for half a gig download. Wonder if its because their servers are getting hammered? Didn't take this long for iOS 9 to come down and that was bigger. Oh well. Excited!!

I think it's unlikely that their download servers are getting hammered, just based on the tiny number of Apple Watch owners compared to iPhone/iPad owners.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I think it's unlikely that their download servers are getting hammered, just based on the tiny number of Apple Watch owners compared to iPhone/iPad owners.
Thats what I would have thought as well. My work connection is pretty fast. Just odd. Seems slow for only half a gig.

Reactions: poppe

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
LOL, mine says "about 1 day remaining."

Work wi-fi is terrible though. I'm sure it will be quicker at home. Hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.