watchOS 6 — much harder to get move and exercise credit?

fastthumbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2003
Anyone else notice this? I used to complete my rings without trouble just from walking to and from work, but ever since installing watchOS 6, I can barely get them halfway closed.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012
I did a 9-mile brisk walk yesterday (I was sweating and it was not that hot) and I only got 7 minutes worth of exercise credit. I had to run the "other" app to close my rings.

Reactions: fastthumbs

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
I don’t get the appeal of closing the rings for the sake of it. If you think you’ve done enough of exercise then it doesn’t matter right?! I mean the days I go gym I’m like over 400% of what my supposed targets are and all my settings are at the highest. I never got the point of these things. It’s just a bit of nice animation for me.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I don’t get the appeal of closing the rings for the sake of it. If you think you’ve done enough of exercise then it doesn’t matter right?! I mean the days I go gym I’m like over 400% of what my supposed targets are and all my settings are at the highest. I never got the point of these things. It’s just a bit of nice animation for me.
Exactly. I've seen Apple change the sensitivity of the exercise ring calculations so many times in the last 4+ years, I've long since given up on trying to close the damn thing just for the sake of closing it. It would be different if it was consistent, but it's not. I can scroll back to April 24th, 2015 in my activity app and see EXACTLY when I updated watchOS, over the years. There are a number of significant and radical changes to ring closure, without any significant changes in actual activity. lol

Reactions: akash.nu

Drowssap

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
When i check for this update on the watch and in the app, it tells me i'm up to date running 5.2, am I missing something ?

S4 SS/Blk

fastthumbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2003
When i check for this update on the watch and in the app, it tells me i'm up to date running 5.2, am I missing something ?

S4 SS/Blk
Yes, the correct place to post. This is a question for another thread.

tdar

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Alpharetta GA.
Beta 1 was horrible for me with this. One day I had to walk 100% more than normal to close the move ring. Every day was between 50 to 100 percent more. Beta 2 seems to fix this. But I have found a workaround that i'd imagine many people do just because it's how they use the watch. Start a walk in the workout app while you are walking. It counts the cals correctly then.

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
"At the highest" can only be true for the exercise and stand rings, and I do consider those a bit of a joke.

But you can set the move ring at whatever you want. I have it set at 1,000 calories per day, which requires about a 5-mile/8K run on top of a normal day at work.

To answer the original question, I haven't seen any obvious difference in the Move/calories ring under WatchOS 6, but I do believe that they raised the bar on the Exercise ring a bit. And that seems appropriate to me. In the past I could get exercise credit just for walking down the block. This morning, I still got 2 minutes of exercise credit when I walked up 3 flights of steps from my basement parking garage, even though my peak HR was recorded at 76. (The Health app shows my range for the day as 47-76.) I shouldn't have any exercise credit yet. Exercise credit should require some degree of HR elevation, not just movement.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
It seems to sometimes have issues after updates. Mine is working fine for now. My watch stopped recording exercise unless I opened workouts for a while though. I fixed it by resetting the watch and repairing.

jhfenton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Looking at my data from this week and last before and after I updated to WatchOS 6, I can't see an obvious difference. I have 65 minutes of exercise credit so far today. 59 from a run after work. 2 this morning. 2 minutes just before my run, probably when I was walking from my car to the park restroom and stretching. And 2 x 1 minute at home from going up and down stairs. (I updated on Wednesday this week, so I only have two full days of data on WatchOS 6.)

Yesterday, on WatchOS 6, I had 99 minutes of exercise credit, with 88 of it from a run. Looking at a few typical work days last week on Watch OS 5, I had days with minutes at 56/67, 100/117, and 42/50 (training/total exercise).