WatchOS 6 on Series 2. Worth it?

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
My series 2 starting to have notifications to upgrade to watchOS 6.1. Is it worth it to upgrade? The series 2 has been working great with warchOS 5. I wonder if there’s any legitimate advantage going watchOS 6 at all. I don’t really care about an App Store on the watch. Any comments?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Worth is a subjective term really. Maybe go through the features and see if you feel like it.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I’d say no. There is no noticeable features for series 2, and performance hit could be real.

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
I upgraded my Series 2 and it actually improved my battery life and no significant difference in performance that I've noticed.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the feedback guys.

So jumped the gun and updated my series 2 to 6.1 overnight. So far so good and I haven’t noticed any major issues. No immediate changes that I noticed (which is a good thing imo) other than the new App Store app.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
My girlfriend uses an S2 with watchOS 6, and has been for months. No issues, but new watch faces and some new apps.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The only really noticeable changes are:

1. Two new watch faces, Numerals Duo and Numerals Mono

2. App Store, though I never saw the point--I don't need more apps on my Watch

3. Siri can show web replies instead of directing you to iPhone; Can bring up webpages

Other features are confined to Watch Series 4/5 though entirely possible on the Series 3- because IMO the mic on the 3 is far better at noise cancelling than my 5 is:

1. Noise app to measure dB levels to prevent hearing loss

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
The only really noticeable changes are:

1. Two new watch faces, Numerals Duo and Numerals Mono

2. App Store, though I never saw the point--I don't need more apps on my Watch

3. Siri can show web replies instead of directing you to iPhone; Can bring up webpages

Other features are confined to Watch Series 4/5 though entirely possible on the Series 3- because IMO the mic on the 3 is far better at noise cancelling than my 5 is:

1. Noise app to measure dB levels to prevent hearing loss
Are you sure web pages can be loaded on the S2?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
It's listed as one of the features of WatchOS 6. Doesn't specify that it's exclusive to certain models. It doesn't offer a web browser, it's a Siri feature. Such as certain searches can show on the watch as web pages instead of directing to iPhone.

From Apple.com:
Question everything. Ask Siri to search a topic and then scroll through the web pages for the top results on your watch face. Now you have all the answers closer at hand.