WatchOut! for sex offenders near you. - Mobile Simplicity Release

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by msimplicity, Apr 15, 2009.

1. msimplicity macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce our 6th applicaion, WatchOut!

Nothing is more important than your safety, and the safety of those you love. One way you can increase your safety is by being aware of the people who live around you. The reality is that nearly all of us live near a registered sex offender, but few are aware of who these people are and where they live.

WatchOut is a tool to help you stay safe by helping you be aware of these individuals in your community. This program is for parents, people who are planning to move to a new area, people who are dating and anyone else who is interested in knowing who is nearby in order to be safer.

WatchOut allows you to:

- Know who is around you by searching for registered sex offenders by zip code
    - Be sure an individual is not an offender by searching for their name in the database
    - Find out where the highest concentrations of offenders live by plotting them on a map
    - Tag selected individuals to access them quickly and easily

To help the cause of domestic violence, 10% of profits are donated to the Domestic Violence Crisis Center www.dvccct.org

Don’t get caught off guard. Watch Out!

iTunes Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=310086341&mt=8

Youtube Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mobilesimplicity

www.mSimplicity.com

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SDCohen macrumors newbie

3. ndheah macrumors regular

This is horrible. I can't believe this app exists.
    I could turn this into a political debate, but I won't.

4. gdphishman817 macrumors newbie

Yeah, where's the app to let me know where people who have committed violent assaults live and their photos? Oh wait, they don't have to be on a list.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The same information is available on the Internet, so why is this app horrible? There's nothing political about informing people where perverts and child molesters live. If they don't want to be on the list, don't molest children, A simple concept.

6. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

So If I know 4 of the 5 pictures is that bad? :p

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Gotta say I am not sure about the ethics of using actual pics and details in the advert…

And, yes, 4 out of 5 is pretty bad. ;)

8. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It's really not that simple, and your attitude about sex offender registry is part of what makes these registries so problematic and disturbing. Most crimes that carry mandatory registration do not involve molestation of children, and many crimes that do carry this additional, often lifelong penalty, do not merit it (if any do).

The idea that anyone would be looking this stuff up so much that they need an app on their phone for it is laughable.

9. apattee macrumors regular

sounds like someone might be on the list...

10. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Yes. Everyone who questions the wisdom and ethics of sex offender registries is on "the list". Very sound reasoning.

11. Tradewind macrumors member

Tradewind

Selling this item for profit is simply wrong. Isn't this supposed to help people? Why is this not free? This is about as stupid as making the Red Cross a commercial organization for profit.
    The idea is acceptable, because in most countries sex offenders will be registered onto a public list, for the purpose that residents around that area will be alerted of his presence. This is part of the penalty for his offence as well as for the safety of those residents. I see nothing wrong with this idea made public via iPhone.
    The profit part is what is entirely stupid...

12. aok1975 macrumors 6502

There is a lot of this in the app store. Developers selling content that is not of their own creation. Why would anyone buy this app anyway. Its not like the app would be updating every 30 minutes, the registry in your area might not change for years. You would be better off checking it online very month or so.