Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Following the Post Your Last Purchase threads, it's clear that the MR crowd owns some of the coolest things.

I'm looking for a cool water bottle. I drink a lot of water everywhere I go (usually mixed with various MiO flavors) and I'm tired of spending money on 24 packs of Dasani water bottles.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Following the Post Your Last Purchase threads, it's clear that the MR crowd owns some of the coolest things.

I'm looking for a cool water bottle. I drink a lot of water everywhere I go (usually mixed with various MiO flavors) and I'm tired of spending money on 24 packs of Dasani water bottles.

Hydroflasks are pretty outstanding (they sell these at our yoga studio):

https://www.hydroflask.com

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I use one of these:
bobble_med_blue_385x650__96971.1404286366.385.650.jpg

It's got a carbon filter that filters out chlorine and other organic things.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
I have one from Eva Solo (Denmark). Don't know if they have a reseller at your location though. It is the first Bottle I came across (had Nalgene, Camelbak & Sigg before) that can handle sparkling water. And I like the Design as well.

101926.jpg

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hydroflasks are pretty outstanding (they sell these at our yoga studio):

https://www.hydroflask.com

I second this. I have a 40 oz and an 18 oz and have gotten many friends and coworkers to get their own after seeing how long it kept ice cold water. As an added bonus it doesnt even sweat. Plus hydroflask is a great company.

Do they really keep the water cold that long? Also, what kind of cap do you have and do they leak if laid down on their side?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just buy poland springs water, and short of that, I use a generic water bottle. I guess I'm decidedly uncool but water bottles are just water bottles, nothing really special about them :/

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you drink enough water each day, why not consider the Camelbak and carry your water around on your back. I used one of these when I was on active duty, as did most of us.

They also have water bottles and an assortment of all types of containers for water.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 6.19.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 6.19.41 AM.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 180

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you drink enough water each day, why not consider the Camelbak and carry your water around on your back. I used one of these when I was on active duty, as did most of us.

They also have water bottles and an assortment of all types of containers for water.

I'd look a little odd if I came into a staff meeting wearing one of those :p

Reactions: 0970373 and annk

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

Camelbak makes a great portable bottle.

BetteBottle-samlet.jpg

Lots of people here use these. After a stroke last year, I'm not supposed to put my neck in extreme positions, like craning it back to drink from a bottle. This way, I can drink keeping my head in the same position.

As an aside, my Chinese friends have gotten me into the habit of drinking hot water when I can, rather than cold. So the water I have in these is generally room temperature.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

BetteBottle-samlet.jpg

Lots of people here use these. After a stroke last year, I'm not supposed to put my neck in extreme positions, like craning it back to drink from a bottle. This way, I can drink keeping my head in the same position.

As an aside, my Chinese friends have gotten me into the habit of drinking hot water when I can, rather than cold. So the water I have in these is generally room temperature.

Why hot water rather than cold?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

BetteBottle-samlet.jpg

Why hot water?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Why hot water rather than cold?

They (my friends) say it's better for the system, less of a shock. I was surprised a couple years ago when I was offered hot water in a cup on one of the summer's hottest days, and just as surprised when, after drinking it, I felt just as good as or better than when I have a cold drink on a hot day.

http://drmeelainling.com/8-reasons-to-drink-warm-water/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/421331-why-is-it-healthy-to-drink-hot-water/
https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/top-7-health-benefits-warm-hot-water-141900805.html

(I'm not endorsing any of these links, and there are many others I could have chosen - this was just a quick search.)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Do they really keep the water cold that long? Also, what kind of cap do you have and do they leak if laid down on their side?

Yep, it’s almost like magic :) I’ve been impressed where it keeps the contents cold (even ice barely melts) with really extreme temps on the outside (like hiking or the hot yoga room @ ~110º)

Cap seals it up air tight, tight, but there are some optional tops with like flip up sippers and whatnot that probably don’t seal as tight.

Lifetime warranty too.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I usually use a nalgene, in the winter I have a hydroflask that I use for hot drinks, and it does a great job of keeping things warm even being out all day at -20C.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest

Ive filled my bottle up with ice water and left it for 2 days and it still had plenty of ice in it. Realistically it easily covers the advertised 24 hours but it depends on how much it is opened. Even in the sauna my water has ice in it for the 30 minutes I am in there, peoples reaction to that never gets old.

Different models have different caps but most are plastic and have a rubber gasket to vacuum seal the inside. I haven't experienced any type of leaking when it is on its side.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
At work I use a Klean Kanteen 40oz wide-mouth bottle. If I'm walking in an urban setting, I bring a narrow mouth 1 liter Nalgene bottle. If I'm walking in the wilderness I bring both plus an extra Nalgene and a filter pump.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Any steel water bottle will suffice, although I do like plastic bottles (BPA-free) because I can see into them.

Avoid aluminium bottles like Sigg, which require a resin coating lining the inside of the bottle.

I tend to use a "Thermos"-branded bottle I got in Japan. It keeps drinks very hot, for a very long time. In fact, I need to cool down my tea or coffee before putting it into the bottle, or else it remains undrinkably hot until the end of the day.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
I use a 32 oz wide mouth Nalgene with an insert in the lid to make the opening smaller. That way I can put it under an ice dispenser and actually get ice in it, but it doesn't splash all over my face when I drink from it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I got this thermos water bottle at Target and have used it for over a year. Very affordable and very user friendly if you want to track how much water you are drinking daily. Additionally, the measurements on the side make it easy to use the bottle for mixed drinks and shakes because you can add just the right amount of water needed.

HP4100TLTRI6_Enlargement.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.