Water damage advice saved me £150

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by UKphoneboy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. UKphoneboy macrumors newbie

I never ever join forums although I occassionally use their advice. Having dropped my precious device under water I turned to this forum. I would like to add my thanks to those people who take the time to write in and offer help as by using the following the phone ressurected itself after 2 days (and people sometimes refer to it as the Jesus phone). The steps I followed were as follows:
    Do not turn it on
    Tip it up and lightly shake out the water
    Blow dry at a distance for 15 minute periods on and off for a while
    Wrap it in a bag of dry rice and put near the boiler /radiatior for 2 days
    Change the rice daily

After 2 days plug it in and charge it - it worked !!!!!! £150 saved
    I am inclined to offer a drink to anybody visiting the south of england but then this would probably use up the £150 I just saved. :D

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats. Good to hear you resisted the illogical temptation of turning on the phone too quickly.

3. navigates macrumors 6502a

I could have never resisted turning the phone on. Its just me. I had turned off a projector by pulling the plug yesterday and knowing I shouldn't have, I replugged it in to see if all is good and the bulb blew itself out.

I went to the Apple store and picked up a 17" Mac book pro not knowing anything about the Mac or its configuration. Its just lying around and I'm on my trusty windows lenovo. Personally I feel Lenovo's are a class by itself. Road Warriors.

Well my post is going out of bounds so I'll end it here. :D

To the OP: Good luck with your new Rice enabled phone.

4. Ericatomars macrumors regular

Thats awesome, good work~ you did everything right and in the end you saved yourself some money and headache.

The one major problem that I've noticed with water damaged phones is that they might tend to freeze up... Hopefully you wont have that problem. The best thing you could have done was leave it alone and let it completely dry out.

5. UKphoneboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Learning the hard way

Many thanks for support. I have learnt that increasingly if something happens that seems disastrous. It is wise to stop and check the internet first as after many expensive lessons it does genuinely seem that somebody out there knows what to do and is willing to write about it. I have saved a lot of money by changing to this simple premise.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Well done!

What's more, congratulations on not doing what some idiots who frequent this forum try to do - namely, con Apple into giving them a new 'phone :)