Water damage...help please!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IUBall22, Jun 5, 2012.

1. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

So my iPhone 4 went through the washing machine the other night. Surprisingly everything works perfectly EXCEPT the wifi and cellular chips.

Here's my problem...I can get a replacement from the apple store using the out of warranty service for $149. BUT, my phone is jail broken, and my computer won't recognize the phone when I plug it in.

I went to the apple store and they told me they'd swap it out for $149 if I come back without the jailbreak. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the jailbreak without my itunes recognizing my phone?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Don't think it matters for an out of warranty replacement.

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Can you use ios5 ota update to restore it? Does iTunes recognize it if you put it into dfu mode?

4. IUBall22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ota update won't work since my phone doesn't get Internet now.

And yes, out of warranty service covers water damage. Apple genius confirmed this for me.

5. Caraj macrumors member

how about if it didn't even turn on? would they replace it then with out of warranty service for the same price? if so, throw it back in the washing machine for another rinse cycle.

Awesome that it even turns on though. I dropped mine in the toilet bowl and grabbed it out in like 2 seconds put it in a bag of rice for several hours and its been perfect for months

6. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Same price. Any out of warranty service is $149 for iPhone 4 and $199 for iPhone 4S.

7. IUBall22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I was thinking about putting it back in water til it wouldn't turn on. It's weird, even music plays as good as its ever been through the speakers and headphones.

My iPhone is squeaky clean though...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try a dfu restore. Or you can delete a everything using ssh and the phone won't be able to boot up.

9. IUBall22 thread starter macrumors 6502

so i decided to run the iphone under running water until it wouldn't even turn on...worked like a charm, got a replacement for $149

10. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I love fraud. :)

11. Caraj macrumors member

I was joking !!

12. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Go settings, general, reset, erase all content and setting.

Won't be a problem. Let me know how it goes.

13. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Isn't it awkward to always get to the party after everyone is passed out :D

14. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Next time it happens to any of you, I've tried a couple of times the Dry Rice trick and it has worked twice and for other friends also.

After grabbing the phone from the water or spill put it immediately on dry rice and leave it for at least 6 hours. Rice will absorb the humidity and dry the phone naturally. This helps a lot in preventing circuits from damaging.

Hope this helps.

***Note: This may not work for some cases.

15. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

Lol! It would totally suck if someone did that to one of my products. But on a personal level, I found that absolutely hilarious!