Hi all, My nephew took his iPod touch 2nd generation with him on a chlorinated swimming pool excursion. From what I am to understand, it was underwater for quite some time. When he realized what had happened, he got out of the pool and turned it on/off several times. (Water Damage Rule #1 violation!) Took it home, tried on/off several more times. Oops! This is about the time that Uncle Who Dah? got his hands on it and has been attempting to repair it. I am currently stuck... It powers on, it makes sound out of it's internal speaker, it responds to touches on the screen. iTunes recognizes it and has restored it. But it won't charge... (Even after a new battery.) My google'ing has been exhausted, I can't seem to find the solution to this particular "won't charge" issue. Any idea what component might need replacing that actually charges the battery? Here's how the repair has played out in all of it's glory if it helps with the diagnosis (Feel free to ask questions if I am missing any details that may be of help.): Presented with waterlogged iPod: Google time. Desiccant stage Stored it in an air tight container of rice and placed it on the patio outside (not in the sun at all). Let it sit there for 8.5 days Powers on, yay! Apple logo displays, then it quickly powers off. Won't come back on. D'oh! Attempt to charge w/ aftermarket charger for 1/2 day - nothing. Attempt to charge w/ Apple USB charger. Seconds after plugging it in, I get a brief second of 'low battery' logo, followed by an Apple logo. Yay! When the Power is on, it is locked on the Apple logo. Reboot, locked on Apple logo. Cycle repeats. Google time. Restoration Hold down power button and home button. Reboots, Apple Logo comes up. After a bit, the USB/iTunes logo comes up, Yay! Hook up to computer, iTunes fires up on it's own, Yay! iTunes informs me that it has found an iPod that needs restoration. Do I wish to continue? I click the "Sure thing" button. iPod thinks for a second, flashes, reboots. Rinse and repeat, I'm stuck at the same point. Constantly reboots after being told to restore. Google time. New battery and a closer look. Noticing that the 'low battery' icon still appears after being disconnected from a charger for even the briefest of moments, and armed w/ my new google knowledge that quite frequently (iPod?) batteries go bad once exposed to water, I remove the battery. (Coworker had the tool from a previous screen repair.) Wow. The thing is soldered to the mainboard. What a trip! I knew one couldn't easily replace the battery in iPods, but wow. Anyways, I desolder it and order a new battery and a new plastic bezel that I broke in attempts to get the battery out. (My google voodoo was bad that day... The youtube video I found didn't tell me about the strategic locations to remove the screen/clips at. It just told me to use the screen removal tool all the way around the screen. Hence the broken bezel, sigh...) During this whole time, I closely inspect if I could see any sign of water damage. The only thing I saw was one screw to remove the metal plate under the screen was rusted. No sign of any other damage and that rust was superficial on the screw, not the mainboard. I took a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to a couple places, but even then, they didn't look bad. More of "why not, I've already got it open" then a sign of damage. A few days later, my new battery and bezel arrive. Not bad, Uncle Who Dah? is only out 12 bucks so far. Solder on the new battery (wow - soldered on, really?), put the thing back together, power it on. Viola! I've got power to the iPod. Whew! (kind of surprised it powered on the first time, heh!) Restoration, take II The thing took nearly 2 hours, but it restored, first time through. Yay! afterwards, the charging icon appears on the upper right when plugged in, Yay! For the first time ever, I see the apps menu on the iPod. Yay! The good, the bad, and the ugly The good: at this point, I can get sound out of the iPod when it boots up or when it makes it's various 'whoosh' noises. The touch screen works, the buttons appear to work. The OS appears to have fully booted. However it is SLOW. It appears to be charging. The bad: The charging icon is misleading... The battery is slowly draining draining draining... It is not charging. The ugly: I really scratched up the bottom of the screen near the home button. Oops! Little black sharpie, and it's hard to notice. The current status: won't charge When plugged in now, the low battery icon is displayed when I power it on. The one with a dominantly black screen and a large battery w/ a little red on the left indicating low battery. Days later, different chargers, wall chargers, USB-to-computer, all result in the battery not charging. My best guess is that the battery came with enough juice in it to get through the Restoration process. I'm currently thinking that perhaps the original (now water-logged) battery might not be bad... But why won't it charge? Google time. I'm coming up short! Request help on some mac forums Here we are! I do apologize in advance if the answer to this is posted somewhere that I've overlooked or have chosen poor google terms. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a bunch, -Who Dah?