Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
Hi,

My wife put my sons bed sheets in the washing machine and didn't realise his phone was wrapped up in there so it got washed.:eek:

I'm guessing it isn't going to work anymore but is there any chance that if i leave it in a warm place for a long time to dry and hope it was turned off and the battery was empty that it might work again?

I don't think my son is going to be very happy when he gets back from school.

Thanks Bez.

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
The old trick is to put it in a bag of rice and leave it there for more than a few days. Don't turn it on at all. It's not guaranteed to work, but sometimes people have some good luck.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
A bowl of rice would be better. If you put it in a (sealed) bag, you'll just trap all the moisture in there and nothing will change...

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I did the same thing with the kid's iPod except I also ran it through the dryer. I figured that was equal to a day or two in rice. ;) The water under the LCD did look kind of cool. It's been running fine ever since but I assume corrosion is slowing eating the insides. At some point it came out of the Otterbox case but the headphone jack, connector, etc., were never covered or plugged by the case so they were open to water.

But... I am NOT recommending you put the phone in the dryer. :)

And... I had a talk with my daughter about leaving it not just "on" the bed but "in" the bed.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
I did the same thing with the kid's iPod except I also ran it through the dryer. I figured that was equal to a day or two in rice. ;) The water under the LCD did look kind of cool. It's been running fine ever since but I assume corrosion is slowing eating the insides. At some point it came out of the Otterbox case but the headphone jack, connector, etc., were never covered or plugged by the case so they were open to water.

But... I am NOT recommending you put the phone in the dryer. :)

And... I had a talk with my daughter about leaving it not just "on" the bed but "in" the bed.

I have gone for the bag of rice option over the dryer lol.

I have told him not to leave things on his bed from now on not that he will remember.:(

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
A bowl of rice would be better. If you put it in a (sealed) bag, you'll just trap all the moisture in there and nothing will change...

If you put it in an open bowl the rice will pull moisture from the air and not the iPhone.;) If in a climate controlled environment the bowl will be fine but if there is humidity you should use the bag. The rice absorbs the moisture and this removes it from the iPhone.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
If you put it in an open bowl the rice will pull moisture from the air and not the iPhone.;) If in a climate controlled environment the bowl will be fine but if there is humidity you should use the bag. The rice absorbs the moisture and this removes it from the iPhone.

Hadn't thought about it that way. I guess it all depends on which has more moisture... the phone or the air.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Don't waste your effort with all this rice stuff and dryer that... Even if you do get the phone to work again, there's no guarentee of how long, it's just a matter of time. Just get an out of warranty replacement for $169.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
Well just to update i left it in a bag of rice for a week taking it out a few times to give it a quick blast with the hair dryer on low heat of course and it doesn't work so i will have to buy him a new one.:(

He says he wants a 4s what a joker lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.