Water for Illegal Immigrants Controversy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, Sep 27, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It seems there are a few groups along the southwest border who put out one-gallon jugs of water for desparate illegal immigrants crossing the border. This has of course generated a controversy since some believe that setting out water encourages more illegal immigration. A lot of that water has been destroyed by those opposed to this practice and the groups have been charged with littering (although those charges were dropped).

Despite what you may feel about the population shift going on in the southwest, I think setting out water for a desperate family crossing the border is a humane thing to do. I can't imagine the hatred of those actually going around ruining the water supplies--they clearly want people to die.

Now, the government does put out emergency water in 55 gallon drums but those locations only cover a small part of the desert. Also, some have border patrol agents waiting nearby--so of course those locations will be avoided.

What do you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us/27water.html?_r=1&hp

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's both humane and littering.

What happens to that water baking in plastic in 100+ degree heat?

And if 55-gallon drums are hard to find, how hard is it to stumble across a 1-gallon plastic jug?

Better they set up lemonade stands.

That way they can satisfy an immigrants thirst and make a few buck towards sending the Model U.N. on that trip to Europe.

It's a win-win!

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

No one should be putting out water. Can any of those crossing claim to not know how dangerous a crossing is? There are many dangers, dehydration is probably the least of them

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Somehow I doubt people are planning or expecting to use these when they are crossing. So I doubt this will increase immigration.

5. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

The groups pick up the empty jugs when they go out to place new ones. The littering charge is just politics.

6. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, they also have to contend with the human trafficker who will torture them and/or other family members horribly to get more money.

I'm sure many of them are well prepared. However, there are all kinds of reasons why someone might be separated from their water supply under what must be less than ideal circumstances.

So, what you're saying is that if you were out in the desert and saw someone you believed to be an illegal immigrant taking a drink--you'd take that water away and let him die?

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So long as they're being responsible, I guess that just leaves the humane part.

Though they should really think about those lemonade stands.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

only in theory. Often times thoses jugs are going to be picked up and thrown somewhere on the trail.

It is a double edge sword. In some ways we should not help them cross.
    The people at the board and land owners at the board suffer the damages and littering. Yet people up north scream not a problem we should help them but they do not suffer the consequence of it.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I dunno, you drink a hell of a lot of water in the desert.

10. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

As long as the people that are placing the water own the property they are doing this on I don't have a problem with it. If they are trespassing on someone elses land than I think someone should put a stop to it.

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Obviously, people are crossing the border to get that good ol American water in gallon jugs. :confused:

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, because walking for miles in a desert poses little threat of dehydration. :rolleyes:

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's a waste of one-gallon jugs. Anyone who's ever crossed the Mexican border into Texas knows you have to cross a river - hence the perjorative nickname given to illegal Mexicans.

14. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't get it. Are you saying because they crossed a river at one point in their journey that they would have had enough to drink then -- and wouldn't need water for the miles of desert they also need to cross?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Obviously the joke of drinking stagnant, polluted water in preparation for an on-foot desert trek is lost on you.

Where's your sense of humor man? :rolleyes:

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And of course every illegal immigrant crosses the Rio Grande...

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Most people, according to the Pima Medical Examiner's review of migrant deaths, died by heat stroke as a result of dehydration and exposure:

From a recent Arizona Daily Star article:

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It's the humane thing to do and the people punching holes in the water jugs have no soul. People aren't coming here for free water so it aint encouraging illegal immigration.

As they should be. Intercept, give them aid, and then send 'em out.

19. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Obviously not. But the availability of water takes away one more obstacle that may have discouraged them from making the trip. It also makes it possible for them to travel faster, since they don't have to carry water with them.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Water has been a serious issue for migrants crossing the desert for more than a decade and yet despite more than 1,700 grisly deaths—that the Border Patrol and other agencies have found, more are probably out there—people continue to take the risk.

As for speed, you're still talking about walking across miles of desert and while being able to stop for water may help, it's a minor increase easily covered by the speed of ATVs, UAVs, horses, helicopters, and trucks.

I don't think many here understand just what that chunk of desert is like and how far the hike really is.

21. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised how far North most of those Mexicans happen to go