Water leaked into my bag on my iPhone 5 :( Any experiences or success stories?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

So some of my water bottle spilled in my bag and had my phone in it I took it out and the screen looked a little messed up..colors were kind of funky, I then realized that I had gotten water in it ... Crap!!!

So it is now in a bag of rice where I will leave it for 24 hours or longer. I am so mad..I was wondering if anyone else had any success stories of their phones surviving in a bag of rice?

I also want to know if this doesnt work, will Apple replace it? I know that they dont replace water damaged phones and this may be a stupid question but I know people that have got it done! The phone is only 2 months old...but one can hope right!!

I also have iOS 7 beta 6 on it so the chances Im assuming are slim...even though the GM is out tomorrow for developers. Is there any way I can just say Im a developer? Im thinking of all options here!

**panicking out***

Thanks guys!
    __________________:confused:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They generally do not replace water-damaged phones. What you would do is bring it in and tell them the truth. Best case-scenario, they replace your phone (although highly, highly unlikely). Worst case-sceneario, you pay the out of warranty replacement (I believe it's $239).

3. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Do I get a new phone or a refurbished phone?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Depends on what the store has in stock. Generally, it will be refurbished but it could be new, you never know.

In my experience, refurbished phones have been better for me than new phones.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you have Applecare+ you get two incidents of accidental damage (including liquid damage) at $50 a pop. That's the "+" in Applecare+.

Once you use the second incident though, you're done, no matter how much time you have left on Applecare+.

6. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Dont have apple care but bought the phone 2 months ago :(

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Bummer! Looks like it's an Out of Warranty replacement then. You might check the Apple stores though. Supposedly, Apple is starting to get big on fixing parts now. Maybe they can simply replace the part instead of the entire thing and it might cost less, IDK.

Anyway, you could not have gotten Applecare on the 5. Apple is only selling Applecare+ now and the old Applecare doesn't cover liquid damage.

8. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Its been 20 hours and all I want to do is TAKE IT OUT NOW!!!!! It didnt fully submerge so it might be dry now :( This is killing me!

9. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

10. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about water leaking onto your iPhone 5.

The best thing to do is NOT TURN it on at any cost, you may be VERY tempted to turn it on but DO NOT.

Just wait, patience is everything.

Also, keep it in the rice for upto 7-10 days to really dry it out, take out the sim eject tray too...

Depending on how much liquid was entered into the iPhone, you should be ok.

Worst comes to worst, Apple offer iPhone5 Out of Warranty replacement which you will qualify for if the water-indictator sensors have been triggered.

Good luck and don't turn it on :)

11. Dented macrumors 6502a

The one thing I'll say about the "rice trick" is if you're not careful, you can end up with rice dust everywhere including inside the sim tray etc if you've popped that out - it mixes with the water and kind of gets glued in there.

I'm more of a fan of the airing cupboard approach - somewhere dry and warm enough to evaporate the water without getting hot enough to harm the phone - and without introducing any other substances that are going to mess things up more.

My wife's 4S went through the washing machine last year. We tried rice first but it just got in a mess. It sat on a towel on top of a warm (not hot) radiator for a while, and then eventually I got impatient and actually put it in our fan oven on the lowest heat for five minutes or so. Don't try this at home kids! Long story short it's working perfectly to this day.

12. MandyAW92 macrumors member

You can either send it back to Apple for an out of warranty replacement or send it to somewhere like this http://www.spotcare.co.uk/ and see if they can do you a better deal

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is where having an actual dehydrator has come in handy for my daughters phone the couple times it's seen a little moisture. Set the phone in the dehydrator, put it on low, and let it do its magic.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh… read the OP? :rolleyes:

15. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Um...

I'm pretty sure the person was asking for an update on the status of the phone since it's been a week since the incident was posted on the site. I guess YOU should have read in to that a bit better, lol!!

16. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Even better to use than rice is that drierite stuff that is sold in supermarkets. It's calcium carbonate I believe. It's meant to dry up small,
    Damp rooms. I'd stick my phone in a box with that stuff out. Don't stick your phone IN the stuff as it's powdery. Maybe a small space heater blowing on it too.

Edit: lookup thirstybag.

17. Krissypantz2828, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

We'll I took it out 21 hours later, I couldn't wait. I was worried about my phone and even had dreams about it lol. I took it out, turned it on and it was fine. I decided to leave it in there for another 4 hours since I was rest assured and it has been working fine ever since. I think it had something to do with the fact that I didn't get much water in it. Thank god for that :) thanks for asking.

Also I'm a little surprised and grateful it works because I was one of the dumb ones that turned it on right after.

18. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Glad it worked out! I dropped mine in the toilet last night (no I wasn't using the bathroom, knocked it off the counter and fell in) and immediately got it out, dried it off and noticed the sound was gone then I panicked and powered it down and thru it in the rice. After 12 hours I left it in the car to hopefully dry up some moisture from the sunlight, then put it back in rice and I heard a text sound from inside the bag...opened it up and the phone was on like normal and sound had came back. Did a few test calls to make sure, it said it had been on standby for 6 hours..i don't know what woke it up but i'm happy :D

19. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

That is great :) how did it play a sound when the phone was off? Lol

----------

We'll the only issue I had was that rice got stuck in my charge port. I had to get a pin to get those suckers out of there lol other than that it was all good. Thankfully.

20. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Yeah I don't know how it turned on. I checked the battery life and it was on standby for a good 6 hours before I heard the text, maybe some weird boot loop :confused: but glad it's normal, I got rice stuck in my lightning port too :D

21. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Yah I was afraid I wasn't going to get it out. It was stuck in there sideways, the perfect length of the port. So I had to chip away at it carefully just to get it out LOL. What a stressful 24 hours that was. $600 would have been gone down the drain since that is what I had to spend to get it- wasn't able to upgrade :p

The things we do for our phones.