Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladyrider947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
i spilled some water on the key pad and wiped it up right away but now the laptop won't turn on or charge...any suggestions?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
i spilled some water on the key pad and wiped it up right away but now the laptop won't turn on or charge...any suggestions?

Turn it off completely (hold the power button down for 10 seconds even if it seems to already be off).

Don't try to charge it anymore.

Maybe leave it somewhere with the lid open and facing down so water can drain out of the keyboard, although if you've already futzed with the laptop enough to see if it would charge or turn on, I don't know if this matters anymore.

Let it sit somewhere dry for a while and give it time to dry off, maybe a couple days.

MacBoook160

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Turn it off completely (hold the power button down for 10 seconds even if it seems to already be off).

Don't try to charge it anymore.

Maybe leave it somewhere with the lid open and facing down so water can drain out of the keyboard, although if you've already futzed with the laptop enough to see if it would charge or turn on, I don't know if this matters anymore.

Let it sit somewhere dry for a while and give it time to dry off, maybe a couple days.

This works! A few years ago, I spilled lemonade on my Macbook Pro (which I'm typing on right now). I used a damp cloth to try to wipe most of the sticky off, then turned it over on a towel and left it there for a while.

It is overheating a lot more than it used to these last few months, but it did survive.

I have since stopped drinking lemonade.

Ladyrider947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
This works! A few years ago, I spilled lemonade on my Macbook Pro (which I'm typing on right now). I used a damp cloth to try to wipe most of the sticky off, then turned it over on a towel and left it there for a while.

It is overheating a lot more than it used to these last few months, but it did survive.

I have since stopped drinking lemonade.
Thanks for ideas...trying them now!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
As a slightly more aggressive drying approach, you could take a couple of pounds of white rice and put the computer and the rice into a plastic bag for a few days. As Motrek said, it may be too late, but it's cheap and worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.