water on my Macbook Pro, turns off immediatley after powering up. pls someone help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryz0n, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ryz0n macrumors newbie

So just now I spilt water on my 15" macbook pro. I had a cover on so most of it didn't get to the keys but it got to the speakers and the bottom of the screen. I dried it off n turned it back on. It worked fine until it turned off after 10 minutes. Now, I turned it on 2 more times and it immediately turns off. I'm having a panic attack because I have an essay due tomorrow at 9am and lost half my paper. What should I do?

And worst case scenario, can I pull the hd from the comp to save all of the data on there?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it is probably too late but you never ever ever turn it on after you spill water on it. You let it sit for a couple days or you risk shorting something. Just for future reference

3. Ryz0n thread starter macrumors newbie

How cani save my hard drive I had 6 months of music projects on it I'm devestated

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Pull the hard drive out, find an external enclosure at your local radioshack or computer store. Atleast your data will hopefully be accessible (if you didn't fry it) via another mac. Depending on the version of your mac, you may be able to boot up from your original hard disk in another mac (say a library or a friend mac).

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

If it's a model easy to open I'd leave the components exposed to air and turn it on after a day or two.

Two years ago I spilled a cup of latte on my MBP keyboard. The keyboard fried, the thing didn't start up. Replaced the keyboard myself and am still rocking with the baby today! So don't get down - there's hope still.

6. Ryz0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Do u guys think it is a hard drive issue since it does boot up but then immediately turns off, such as the disc check or w/e failing? It still has power. I really need to save the hd but I guess losing it wpuld be better than a brand new computer

7. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

STOP TURNING IT ON!!!

Take the battery out, unplug it, and don't plug it again for at least a couple of days. That way, you might have a chance of it surviving.

IN THE MEANTIME, take the harddrive out and put it into an external enclosure as described above and plug it into another computer. You should be able to get your data.

Oh, and one last thing.

DON'T TURN IT ON FOR AT LEAST TWO DAYS.

8. Ryz0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend the cheapest enclosure to put this in and one that's compatible. Is it just regular 2.5 enclosure? I was at best buy n they had one. 60 seems like a lot tho

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

Tigerdirect

Email your proff/teacher let them know what happened, beg for an extension, (half the time they won't do crap if you message them the day before something is due)

and then head to tigerdirect.com/newegg.com find a 2.5 inch harddrive enclosure, and order it, wait for it to arrive, plug in your harddrive in a buddies mac, and salvage all your data. I think the data should be fine. Don't worry too much about that, it's salvageable.

Your laptop however, probably not at this point. but at least you get to keep the important bit! (the data!)

10. Ryz0n thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its done for. I let it dry out taken apart for 3 days and it still does the same thing. Turns on, doesn't get to the gray screen, and turns off

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You posted the original plea for help Nov. 11th, this post was Nov. 13th - you clearly did not wait 3 days, and you def. screwed yourself. Next time maybe you'll listen.

12. Ryz0n thread starter macrumors newbie

lol w/e, I'm pretty sure the damage was already done on the first night. What's done is done.

13. vant macrumors 65816

Ouch. As harsh as that sounds he is completely right. You didn't listen, you paid the price.

If it were me, I'd go to the Apple store, buy a new MBP, and swap HDs. Done.