Water spill but we can't figure out where the damage is....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by libertylove, Jul 24, 2010.

1. libertylove macrumors newbie

I have read all the posts about water spills here, so please bear with me posting a new thread. This is just extremely puzzling. I spilled some water on the top of my less-than-a-year-old 13" MBP a few days ago. We did all the right things to dry it out and then the first thing we did was pop my hard drive into my husband's 15" and everything booted up fine, worked like always, and we backed up the entire HD on an external drive.

We replaced the HD and this is what happens when you boot it up:

1) you get the usual grey screen with apple and turning wheel graphic
    2) goes to blue screen
    3) goes black.

It has actually made it to the login screen a couple of times before going black, but only for a split second. One really odd thing is that you can hard power it down all the way till you hear the "click" and it goes silent, but then when you hit the power button again it will start at the grey screen with the little progress bar graphic you get when it's coming back from sleep. So it's like it's going to sleep instead of powering all the way down. Weird, right?

We ran the hardware check disc and did both the quick and extended scans and both reported no problems. The screen never shut off during that process. Also booted it in single-user mode and the keyboard works fine, the screen never shuts off. Also tried reinstalling the OS, the disc worked and the screen never shut off, but it lagged at the grey apple screen indefinitely. My husband then reinstalled the OS successfully in firewire mode, and was able to boot it up successfully on his computer in firewire mode.

He used the ifixit guide to take the back case off and remove and examine the logic board. There were no signs of visible damage anywhere, though there was a fair amount of dust which we cleaned off with compressed air.

Oh and we also tried replacing my 4G RAM with my older 2G RAM from before The Incident and there was no change in behavior.

I would love any advice or insight into what kind of problem we might be looking at, fixes, or what we might expect to have to replace. I am a professional photographer, so as you can imagine it's pretty vital that I have a working computer.

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to respond.

Liberty

2. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

I would say its a sensor somewhere telling the macbook that it's closed and thats why it goes to sleep as soon as it boots.

3. libertylove thread starter macrumors newbie

update----arrrggh!

after cleaning the insides a bit, we put everything back in and rebooted. Got the welcome video from the new OS install, went through the Time Machine data transfer of all my documents, and were able to log in to my user and run everything just fine. So my husband decided to try putting my 4G RAM back in. Back to the old problems. Cant boot. So he put the 2G RAM back in. No good. So, it CAN boot and run just fine, but now it won't. Again.

EDIT---- interestingly (or infuriatingly) enough it has changed its behavior a bit. Now it shows the login screen with the coming-back-from-sleep bars when you turn it on, then goes black, then goes blue, then goes black.

4. libertylove thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE---curiouser and curiouser

Plugging in external display allows computer to come out of its weird hibernation, everything runs fine on the external display. Display preferences is not showing my laptop LCD as an option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that my HD, RAM, and other important hardware seems to be intact and unharmed, but I did get a laptop instead of an iMac for a reason, and it's not because i love editing my pictures on a tiny screen.....so if anyone knows anything about water and displays I'd be so grateful!