Water splash on MacBook keyboard - chances of survival?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yixian, May 22, 2015.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Quite a big splash in the bottom left side of the keyboard, could see water seeping in between the keys. The machine didn't power off but I turned it off myself very quickly, turned it upside down and it's now sitting on a towel.

Whilst turning it over I accidentally turned it on again and it did power on fine (I powered it down quickly) does this mean it's going to pull through or should I still leave it off for a few days?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Stick it in a bag of rice for a day or two, more if you can. Rice absorbs water like nobody's business. You're lucky it was just water, other liquids especially sugary drinks eat away at electronic contacts.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

+3 for bag o rice
    Always does the trick with any electronic devices

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

FYI: If the battery is still connected, the possibility still exists for magic smoke to suddenly become present, even though it's not "powered on".

Regarding the rest of your chances ... It depends. You "roll the dice" anytime you have liquid near any laptop. In the end, time will tell if there are any lasting effects.

6. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, Im gonna leave it ten take it into the Apple Store to be checked inside.

7. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Let us know what happens good luck