Waxing your iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Does anyone else do it? I had a friend tell me how they wax their ipad every few days with just regular car wax and I tried and wow it looks and feels amazing after. This stuff is really gentle on the ipads paint so dont worry about it getting scratched. Plus it makes it smell really nice after.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I put mine in a felt back case and forget it. It looks as new as the day it came out of the box.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
What the? On the front or the back?

On the front, wouldn't that wear down (or get rid of) the oleophobic coating?
On the back, wouldn't that make it too slick to hold onto?

When I first saw this thread, I thought "Since when do iPad have hair?" then I read it. LOL. :p

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
No. It's a raw aluminum iPad, not a painted surface.

Damp microfiber rag here and there does the trick.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
LOL, for a moment there I thought the iPad in question was growing hair! If that ever happens, I'll wax it right off! :D

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
OP, no disrespect, honestly, and this is not an attack against you but anyone that decides to try putting on car wax on their iPad just because you said it worked well would need their head examined. ;). Without a video of you stating your name and showing yourself actually putting real car wax on your iPad and polishing it then there's no validation and someone would be foolish to try this.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
OP, no disrespect, honestly, and this is not an attack against you but anyone that decides to try putting on car wax on their iPad just because you said it worked well would need their head examined. ;). Without a video of you stating your name and showing yourself actually putting real car wax on your iPad and polishing it then there's no validation and someone would be foolish to try this.
There are videos of people rubbing banana peels on their iPhones, doesn't make it any more legitimate :)

I think the most appropriate reply to a post like the OP, is: thanks for the laugh, mate!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Car wax is used to protect the paint from the elements. There are no "elements" that will cause the paint to fade and/or cause corrosion. At worst you're adding something that is will cause a build up and make it slipperier to hold

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Without a video of you stating your name and showing yourself actually putting real car wax on your iPad and polishing it then there's no validation and someone would be foolish to try this.
Why would she have to create a video with her name and actually doing what she's asking :confused:

The OP is asking a simple question, why make answering that question harder or not be helpful in your answer?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not for me, but if OP likes it...great.

My question would be does it effect heat dissipation. My guess is it wouldn't, but it would be a minor concern for me.

A Sena case does the trick for me.:D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I have waxed the screen on my iPhone, as the oleophobic coating became worn off after heavy use.
This is why I get a screen protector as soon as I buy an iDevice. I too had the coating wear off on my iPhone. I'm not sure how wax will help the display quality once the oleophobic coating wears off, but if it helps you, more power to ya :)

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
This is why I get a screen protector as soon as I buy an iDevice. I too had the coating wear off on my iPhone. I'm not sure how wax will help the display quality once the oleophobic coating wears off, but if it helps you, more power to ya :)
It has made the screen more smooth, like before the coating wore off. my fingers make a lot of friction moving over glass, so it actually works good.:cool:

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Does anyone else do it? I had a friend tell me how they wax their ipad every few days with just regular car wax and I tried and wow it looks and feels amazing after. This stuff is really gentle on the ipads paint so dont worry about it getting scratched. Plus it makes it smell really nice after.
I'm like the majority and clean by iPad with a micro fibre cloth. I've never of anyone waxing their iPad, let alone any sort of electronic device. Interesting...

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Why would she have to create a video with her name and actually doing what she's asking :confused:

The OP is asking a simple question, why make answering that question harder or not be helpful in your answer?
I actually misread the first line of her post. I read the part where she said her friend uses car wax on the iPad and she tried it too, following that of her suggesting that we try it. I didn't realize she was asking the forum "IF" we tried this. Sorry.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Uh, no... never thought if waxing it. Wouldn't want to ruin the oleophobic coating.

However, this is one of your best, and most informative posts yet Miss kitty... Literally... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.