Way to force youtube to play H.264 instead of Flash that is not ClicktoFlash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Feb 9, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I know this might be a question asked before, but I cant find any posts about is using MRoogle. So here I am to ask for help.

I know its possible to watch Youtube vids using H.264 MP4 codec instead of flash. As most of the videos I watch are recent uploads (last year or so) they have SQ and HQ H.264 version available. As Flash eats up system resources worse then anything I can think of at the moment, I am trying to find a way to force the videos to play in MP4 format. I know ClicktoFlash has this option for Safari, but I am trying to find out if there are any other ways to do this without user input (for playlists). I use YousableTubeFixURL for Chrome and Firefox which has the option to do this, but no matter what option I choose, it always plays using Flash. I know FF doesnt have a built in MP4 player, but I though I heard of a way to get VLC or Quicktime to play it.

So is this actually possible or am I dreaming? If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS I know I can sign up for the HTML5beta, but I know it will causes issues with some of my GreaseMonkey scripts.

PSS As someone has already made this mistake, I will clearly say that I am aware of ClicktoFlash, but seeing as it doesn't support Chrome/Chromium or Firefox, it is not an option for me.

2. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Not trying to be a jerk, but did you even read my post? I am trying to find out if there is another way to do this without clicktoflash as it only works for Safari.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, must have missed that.

4. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

No one has any ideas? :(

Double-posting for a last chance effort to get some help. Anyone?