Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happycamper515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Ordered 4 phones including 2 iphone 5S from TMO on 9/22. They finally send it out on Friday and it's scheduled for delivery by the end of day Tuesday (tomorrow). When I placed the order I requested to port over my 4 lines from Verizon.

This morning my cell sevice has been cutoff from Verizon and my numbers ported over to TMO. The phones won't be here until tomorrow which means I've got 4 lines with no cell service for almost 30-40 hours.

This is not the way to make an impression on new customers when you're taking them away from Big Red. At least they agreed to give me a $20 service credit for the inconvenience.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Change username to PissedOffCamper515.

I would never trust any company to port over my number, unless I had the Sim/Phone I was going to port over to in my possession. It would SUCK to lose your number!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's always best to get temporary numbers first and then port the numbers afterwards. That guarantees no gap in service. Sometimes these carriers take forever with releasing numbers to each other and such.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Ordered 4 phones including 2 iphone 5S from TMO on 9/22. They finally send it out on Friday and it's scheduled for delivery by the end of day Tuesday (tomorrow). When I placed the order I requested to port over my 4 lines from Verizon.

This morning my cell sevice has been cutoff from Verizon and my numbers ported over to TMO. The phones won't be here until tomorrow which means I've got 4 lines with no cell service for almost 30-40 hours.

This is not the way to make an impression on new customers when you're taking them away from Big Red. At least they agreed to give me a $20 service credit for the inconvenience.

The terms of service, had you read them, spell out what to do to avoid the problem you're having. Taking personal responsibility is priceless

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Never port until you have the new phones in hand and you're sure you're keeping the new service provider.

happycamper515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
I thought about it for a second when the order screen asked if I was tranferring any numbers. I should have taken new numbers and ported after I was we got the phones like many have said. I 99.9% sure we'll keep the TMO since I had them 2 years ago before moving to Verizon then now moving back to TMO. We didn't have any issues with TMO back then so I can't imagine their coverage got worse. If anything it should have gotten better in the past 2 years.

Ryno76

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
they only offered 20 bucks?! man...i say at least 10 bucks a phone! lol...well, at least you know your numbers have been moved to TMO!

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Yeah, look on the bright side, sometimes it can turn into quite the ordeal to get numbers ported with the carriers each pointing the finger at the other. I've seen it take DAYS for some people ping-ponging back and forth between the old and new carriers to make it happen.

When your phones get here they'll be ready to go right out of the box!

D3TSURA

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2013
they only offered 20 bucks?! man...i say at least 10 bucks a phone! lol...well, at least you know your numbers have been moved to TMO!

I would have tried to get them to waive or credit the account for the cost of the activation fees for the phones.

happycamper515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
When they offered the $20 I asked if I could have it per line and they said no. Plus there are no activaction fees on this orders. I thought that was standard practice that they waive activation fees.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
So technically it wasn't their fault as you chose to port the numbers over and that happens when they ship the phone. When I switched to T-Mobile they guy on the phone told me to never do that as what happened to you is what happens. So when my 4 phones arrived I called and they ported all 4 lines within 5 min.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
30-40 hours with no phones? Boy, I feel for you.

But not really. The whole porting process has been explained now. Next time get a temp number assigned.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Major bummer :(

BUT, I did learn you can port later - that is helpful to me, we are going to port my DDs phone and have issues coordinating a couple of things related to the process.

Soooo, know that you helped me at least!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.