Way to maximise ALL open windows of Application, at once?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cassady, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

I have a MBP 13" most often connected to an external monitor.

Fairly frequently, for whatever reason, I might disconnect the MBP from the external, if I'm moving about or something. When I come back to reconnect, everything is thrown off, as certain of the windows have now resized for the 13" screen.

Since I regularly have 3/4 applications open, and - quite often - 10/15 windows in one of them in particular, sometimes a few others elsewhere, it becomes a very tedious affair to "maximise" all of those windows, individually, to fit the 24" external...

I have BetterTouchTool and BetterSnapTool installed, and use them with a keyboard shortcut -- but what I'm trying to work out, is if it is possible to select all the open windows of a particular application, invoke the shortcut, and have all of them maximise simultaneously?

If anyone has figured out a clever way to do this, maybe using Keyboard Maestro, or ShortCat, or BTT/BST -- please shout! Driving me nuts that this should be so clunky!

:cool:

2. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Nothing, nada, zip? :eek:

Doesn't look like its possible, tbh... popped up similar queries elsewhere, with similar responses (rather, lack thereof)...

Apparently – in Win 7, using the Task Manager, with the Application selected, allows the option to maximise all. Haven't been able to check, since I only have a Win desktop - not a Win laptop connected to an external...

Some OSX users said they don't have any issues at all - that all the open windows snap back in to place, the moment the external monitor is connected again.

I have no such luck, but probably due to how many desktop spaces/open windows I run at once - plenty open, so guess understandable that all of them might not snap back.

Oh well. 1st world problems. I will build a bridge, and get over myself! ;)

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Lol. Talking to myself here...

But hey - in case someone stumbles across this -- in Mavericks, holding Alt/Opt down, whilst clicking on the green Maximise button, gets close to the desired reaction.

It's not perfect, and can be a bit inconsistent depending on the order of the Windows, and how the were resized previously, but in the absence of anything else, will (mostly) do the job. :apple:

4. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Theres probably an AppleScript to do it, like something set positions of windows.
    Look it up! theres probably some tutorial.

5. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

You know I never actually thought about that. Will go look over at MacScripter! Thanks.