Way to preserve 4.3.3 stock on unjailbroken phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dsquared81, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Been trying to find a definitive answer for this question but to no avail. So hopefully somewhere here can help me out.

Here's my situation - bought a white iphone 4 on stock 4.3.3. I would like to restore it and set it up as a new phone (to remove any remnants of the seller's info off the phone and I'm experiencing some battery issues that I want to see if setting it up as new will fix it) but also preserve 4.3.3 stock. Can I safely do this on itunes or should I use the phone's erase all content and settings button?

I'd like to preserve 4.3.3 so that if I decide to jailbreak it will be untethered. Will I be forced to restore AND update to 5.0.1?

If so, any way around this?

Thanks everyone!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If this phone is on stock 4.3.3 and not jailbroken, you can use the button "Erase all content & setting", it will reset the phone and bring your phone to activation screen. You still will have 4.3.3 on it. However, if it is jailbroken, then don't ever do this.

Another option is to use iFaith.

3. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

First you need to get Tiny Umbrella and save your 4.3.3 blobs. Then download iOS 4.3.3 firmware for your iPhone. Run Tiny umbrella then press option restore and select your firmware. Then use redsnow to jailbreak. If you want to keep your baseband use redsnow to make a custom IPSW.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple is not signing 4.3.3 so he cannot save it with TU.
    Just ifaith can stitch a custom 4.3.3 ipsw for that device to restore to.

5. dsquared81 thread starter macrumors 6502

So essentially I cannot use itunes to restore it? Or through the erase all content and settings button (phone is currently not jailbroken, like what Crystal-RX suggested)?

I'm sorry I'm confused, there are differing recommendations. Thanks you guys for helping me out thus far.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use the erase all since its not JB right now.
    Then you can use ifaith if you want to create a custom JB 4.3.3. with the current blobs on your iphone to restore later if needed.
    Or just erase all and send it to the buyer the way it is. All your stuff will be gone and it will still be on 4.3.3

7. dsquared81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I see. So I can do the erase all and then connect to itunes when prompted and the phone will activate and remain on 4.3.3 (and not force an update)? I'll then have the option to set up as new or from a backup?

I was wary to try it on itunes itself since the button said restore and update (updating is definitely something I do not want to do).

Thanks Applejuiced

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will just restart and everything will be cleared.
    You wont have to connect to itunes to activate or anything. If itunes asks you to setup make sure you setup as new with none of of your stuff on it.

9. dsquared81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gotcha, thank you so much again

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

good job AJ. Good to see that we actually have someone checking, and double checking before using that button. Not like others, did it and come here for help. :D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Most hit it first and then ask why is my iphone stuck at the Apple logo?:D

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Don't bother with blobs or TinyUmbrella.

You have 2 options, as have already been mentioned.

1. Use iFaith to generate a pre-signed IPSW. Put the device in Pwned-DFU and then shift-restore with itunes. Save the IPSW and you can restore again in the future.

2. Erase all content and settings. Only if you are SURE it's not jailbroken.

I've used the iFaith method and it works on 4.3 and 4.3.5.