Way to switch off Airport Extreme or Time Capsule WiFi?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drambuie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Is there a way, in the settings, to turn off the Time Capsule's Airport wifi?
    I've been looking at the "Apple Airport Networks" and the "Designing Airport Networks" manuals and haven't found an On/Off setting similar to the MBP's Airport On/Off. I live in a high-rise, with a lot of wifi networks, and would like to configure the Time Capsule via wired LAN with wifi off, until it is secured with WPA2 encryption, and MAC address filtering. Also, I will probably be using the gigabit LAN connection most of the time, when at my desk.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Here's an older thread on the same topic but with an AEBS. See instructions on post #10.

3. drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much. Now knowing what I'm looking for, I looked at the manual, and found the reference to Radio Mode. Unfortunately, the manual mentions different radio modes, but not radio off. I suppose I would eventually have found this setting, but didn't want to be searching all the options while wide open to intrusion. I always like to read the documentation first, to get a good idea of the procedures before I start.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Makes sense :)

Did that procedure work for you?

5. drambuie, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again. I've got it working perfectly. I'm using 5GHz n for this session. The TC has been running for several hours, and is only slightly warm to the touch.

I haven't done a Time machine backup to the TC yet. Is there a way to set up backups on demand only, or is the best way to have TM turned off until I want to do a backup. Hourly backups seem a bit unnecessary.

Do you know how to use the TC's internal disk for general file storage and sharing? The Airport manuals say that this can be done, but not how to do it. The TC documentation describes how to backup and restore, but not how to store individual files or folders.

Never mind. I found it. The TC can be accessed as a shared disk via Shares in Finder.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

To answer your first question, there is no standard way to do what you asked. You can try TimeMachineEditor to change the backup interval. I've never tried it so I can comment on its efficacy. I also wish there were more settings for TM, but I suppose it serves its purpose as a "set and forget" type of system.