Ways of updating/loading data in app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by StefanDevil, Aug 26, 2010.

1. StefanDevil macrumors member

Hi,
    cAn I check, what are the ways available to updAte the data in the app once user have downloaded it from iTunes? My dAta is save in plist but if I wish to update it now and then I suppose I can't do that? Some suggestion?
    Thks in advance

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Place you changeable plist in the Documents directory instead of inside the app bundle.

3. StefanDevil thread starter macrumors member

Hi dejo, what I mean to Ask is, for example user downloaded the app. Than I can still update the data in the app, like reload their database. Like YouTube, the data is always reloaded. Or if there is an update avaliable, I can alert user, than ask them to download. Is that possible? What I want to achieve is a method to updatE data in the app, once user has downloAded it.

Thks for the reply

I heard I could use rss? How does this works?
    Many thanks!

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

You'll need the app to check your server for new content, then reload it if needed. There are numerous ways to do this, depending on the type of data it is.

5. bweberapps macrumors member

A very simple way would be to host an XML document on a server and have the app check that server for the XML document and load any changes to the data. This is similar to an RSS reader, but you can put any data you want in the XML. There are plenty of tutorials on how to parse through an XML document from the Internet and load it into table views, but you could just load it into your plist instead.

6. StefanDevil thread starter macrumors member

hi bweberapps,

i new to this type of setting, how can i host a server? is there some guides that i can take a look?

how does my app check the server?

thks for the help!

just to add, my data is just some strings n icons picture in .png format

7. bweberapps macrumors member

Just do a google search for iPhone RSS reader tutorial, and you should plenty to use as a starting point. Then start a website (Google Sites, Wordpress, Go Daddy) and post your XML document to the site. Then just replace the URL used in the tutorials to get the RSS feed with the URL to your XML. Now you will be parsing through your XML document. Change the code from the tutorial to parse your specific XML structure and do whatever you want with the data. There are a lot of details that go into this, but some google searching should get you there. And for the png's you will probably want to host those files on your site as well, and in your XML document you will have an item that is just a URL to the picture and in your code you will grab the picture at that URL to display it.

8. StefanDevil thread starter macrumors member

thks for the info bweberapps!

i will try it out. :)

Hi is it possible to implement a function like , go to this link, download this file(plist or zip) and use this files in the program? If yes, how can I achieve this?
    Thks

9. ompah macrumors newbie

Maybe this is not the right thread to ask in, but I have a related question:

If I decide to add/change content through adding items in the documents through iTunes, how do I locate it from the code?

I wanna check for a specific item and if its not added yet, then use default img/file. I dont know in what url i should look and how the commands looks like.

Thanx for the help!