WD 750GB Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT VS. Hitachi 500GB 7K500

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Don Nguyen, May 17, 2010.

1. Don Nguyen macrumors member

Prices of the two are fairly close enough for me. The extra storage space in the WD seems pretty nice, but I am uncertain if I want to sacrifice speed for more space.

Anybody with their thoughts/comments on either one, or maybe have had both and give a comparison of the two?

Really 50/50 on both right now. Maybe slightly leaning towards getting the 500GB Hitachi, due to the amount of positive reviews it's gotten, and then possibly jumping into a bigger HDD later in the future once their prices go down and their RPM speeds get better.

thanks.

-Don

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Buy both and a USB case/cable for backup. If one drive doesn't work well in your MBP swap them. Easy and no strain or stress. :cool:

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

For most people the speed of the WD won't be that much slower or noticeable than the Hitachi one. Reason is because of the aerial density of the drive. I'm assuming both drives are dual platter design, so the WD heads don't have to move as much to search for data in comparison to the Hitachi.

But one aspect that the Hitachi has is seek time, this is a direct reflection of RPM.

Personally I think it is a toss up, if you'd like more room and plan to use it go for 750GB, or if the extra 250GB isn't really going to be used, go with 500GB 7200RPM.

Depends on how you use it.

4. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Go with Hitachi. My short experience with Scorpio Blue was bad.

5. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

That's what I am also reading. Seems like I may go with the faster HD right now. The fact that so many more people are running it also helps with the decision a bit more as well.

Time to find the cheapest place to get a Hitachi then.

-Don

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I had the WD 750GB, and ended up returning it because of a weird noise it was making. It was like a whirring sound on top of the normal disk spin, and it was pretty noticeable.

I only got the 750 for the speed since it has the highest density of any platter based drive, but I didn't need the space, so I just bit the bullet and bought a 128GB SSD instead. Don't regret it at all.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I haven't owned the WD but I did own a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 for a short time and was very satisfied. It's also one of the fastest notebook hard drives on the market.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

I have two WD Scorpio Blue drives: One 320GB for the ATV and one 750GB for the MBP. Neither have had issues.

9. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

I am going with a 128gb SSD from Apple, and then running a 2nd HDD for all of my files. This is basically my mobile work station, so it'd be nice to have everything there.

It would almost seem that the WD 750GB should be quiet, since it has an operating speed of 5400rpm, but I guess that's not always the case with it.

Honestly, anything will be an upgrade from my ibook G4, which has 1.5gb of ram and a 60gb HDD. Haha.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah I was hoping it would be quiet (it is marketed to be silent after all), maybe I just got a dud. My stock drive was pretty noticeable too in the sound department, that was my original motivation to get a new drive.

The SSD solved all the problems I wanted to fix, and it made my computer feel new again. :D