WD Scorpio Blue 500GB (WD5000BEVT) for MBP 13" - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NazgulRR, Nov 20, 2010.

1. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

WD 6.3cm (2.5) 500GB SATA WD5000BEVT 5400 8mb [WD5000BEVT]

I believe that is the one without WD's free fall sensor (or whatever it is called)?

I can get a very good deal on it (41€). I plan on copying my stock 250GB Toshiba drive 1:1 to it with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Would this drive be good?

Thanks.

2. pyroo macrumors member

I had this HDD in my MBP, I was very satisfied with it, it is faster than what my MBP originally came with. It is very quiet, no vibrations felt at all. You can however, hear clicking noises every now and than in a QUIET room, but that didn't bother me.

But if you don't mind vibrations, I suggest getting the 500GB Scorpio Black, I replaced the Scorpio Blue with Black, I notice that it is quite a bit faster, especially when you are opening programs like Photoshop. It is just as quiet, I don't actually get the clicking noises with the Black, but I do notice vibrations.

3. NazgulRR thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. That's nice to hear. Btw, I can hear clicking noises with the stock Toshiba drive as well (in a very quiet room only). SMART status is ok.

4. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Just thought I'd chime in.

I've had this exact drive for over a year now and I must say, it's good. Going from the stock drive, it's a little faster. I also get the clicking noises, but I've managed to stop that by downloading HDAPM, works a treat. :)

Good luck.

5. NazgulRR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for chiming in & glad to hear that. It's already ordered and should be here some time next week. I'm really looking forward to it because I have only cca. 4GB left on the stock 250GB Toshiba drive. :)

6. nsx23 macrumors member

I've had mine for a bit more than 1 year now. Used to run it as the main drive until I got an SSD recently, and I've now shoved it into an optibay for extra storage + A full clone of my main drive for redundancy.

Still runs great, can occasionally beachball but its good on battery life as well (Same as what I got from the stock 160GB drive). No vibrations, but you could hear it spinning up.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I want to add that, although it's a 5400RPM drive and you wouldn't expect it to be blazing fast, opening more than one application at a time is painfully slow at times vs. the stock HDD and is even worse when in Windows. But if you won't be doing that most of the time, that HDD should be solid.

8. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Why not go with the black edition? It performs better ...