WDS - Airport Extreme and Express - how many can you have?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dealmaker, Oct 14, 2010.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

So I have recently set up (and eventually got working!!) an Extreme paired with three Airport Express units as well as an Apple TV (latest Generation).

Only problem I have is that in one of my rooms (the one furthest away from the Extreme) the Express is struggling a bit and on Air Tunes the signal drops out quite frequently when playing music.

So I am considering adding another "wired" Extreme upstairs to this room to cover that end of the house. In addition I was thinking of putting another Express in my sons room - to also cover the garden.

My question is - is there a limit to the number of units you can have talking to one another _ I think they are working in WDS configuration (the wizard took care of it eventually so I don't know for sure) - and I am sure i read somewhere that you can only have 5 devices running in a WDS network? Would the Apple TV be classed as a device or is that simply a wireless client??

2. GrassHoppa10 macrumors member

WDS - Airport Extreme and Express - how many can you have...

I have 3 extreme Ns, 3 express Gs, 1 express N, and 2 apple tvs.

Works perfectly spread all over the house. No drops anywhere. Almost 100% coverage everywhere. Have multiple notebooks MAC mostly - used in various parts of house.

And in addition, 2 Time Capsules also. So those are Extreme Ns basically.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i believe in WDS mode, the base station can have four relays and each relay can have four remotes. in your case, if your were to have a second wired base station, you wouldn't have to add that to the WDS. just have it broadcast the same network name as your current one.

4. mg0536 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I have an extreme and 3 expresses, configured to extend the network (WDS?) everything works great. Adding another express is possible but the performance is terrible for this new node, even when positioned right near the extreme.
    Seems like propagation is not the problem. Is there a protocol limit?
    Also, we've got an Apple TV, which I assume is just a client. Does Apple TV affect WDS?