"We can replace the back glass for $30, but the front glass is $199"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesryanbell, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Went with my g/f last night to get her phone diagnosed (she dropped it on accident getting out of the car and cracked the front glass), and while they can replace the back glass for almost nothing, if you crack the front glass it requires you to get a new phone. ?? Why not just make the glass replaceable like it is on the back?? I'm sure there's a reason, but it's frustrating that they didn't make it something fixable.

"It's not meant to withstand breakage"

I understand that. It would just be much NICER if the glass was replaceable on both sides and I'm surprised they didn't do that.

I looked at third party repairs....cheapest either of us found was $170. :/

At least it's done though. Just venting.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

iPhone 4? You can't just replace the front glass alone. The screen and glass are one piece adhered together. To replace the front glass you have to replace the screen. The iPhone 4 isn't like previous iPhones where you could replace the glass without replacing the screen. It makes more sense to replace the entire phone in this case.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

replacing the front glass requires taking the whole phone apart.

replacing the back panel takes less than a minute.

couple this together with the fact that the screen is glued to the glass on the front panel, you have to replace the whole thing.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

Apple can't win. If they made the front glass easier to replace like on the 3G and 3GS, people would be complaining about dust under their screens again. I for one, am happy they glued the screen to the glass.

5. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how much they would charge to replace the front glass on a 3GS? The LCD itself is fine.

6. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I usually charge $50 including parts and labor to replace just the front glass of a 3G/3GS.

7. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I'll second the hell out of this one. I hate dust under the glass and evidently I am a super dusty person. I had 3 3G phones replaced or the glass changed at Apple under warranty or Applecare due to excessive dust. I even started turning my pockets inside out when washing them and it did not help.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

+1 ... Makes sense ... Apple does not expect many people to break them ... they want Dust Free for the iPhone. :cool:

9. south8212 macrumors 6502

Makes sense to me. Changing the glass on the 3G/3GS is a pain and a lot can go wrong (especially when people try to do it themselves). Glad apple made it this way. IMO they did us all a favor with being able to replace the back so easily.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I disagree with this. I think a win would be a device that's properly sealed to begin with. Properly and permanently aren't synonymous.

11. south8212 macrumors 6502

I think he was talking about after the replacement.

12. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Perhaps that is impossible to achieve? If so, I'm happy to go with the current screen.

13. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

i had to pay over 300$ to replace the glass here in sweden :/

14. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

I charge $75 for 3G and 3Gs parts and labor. But they are relatively easy to do, not for everyone, but can be done and figured out by most. 1st gen iPhones are harder to get into, but basically the same. i4s are much harder to get to, and as mentioned they come with glass and screen together. Back glass is just a few screws and can be done by anyone.

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

My understanding was that the glass was fused with the LCD on the 4 not for dust reasons, but to get the physical LCD closer to the surface. Makes a big difference, IMHO - like you're touching the display, instead of feeling like you're touching glass between you and the display.

Like all tradeoffs, it's good and bad. Looks great, sucks if you break it.

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

amen to that brother.

OP as someone who use to repair 3G/3GS iPhones for friends, even with the stock rubber seal+ additional thin bead of silicone I would apply, in a few months dust would still get between the LCD and the glass.

iPhone 4 for several months, not a speck of dust!

17. ringgit macrumors member

ringgit

At any rate, the glass should be able to withstand drop. The fact that it didn't just showed us how Apple screwed us with the gorilla glass ********.

18. What r ye doing macrumors newbie

They glued the screens together for afew reasons
    1. Dust free
    2. Slimmer device
    3. Better handle(multi-touch,etc...)
    4. Fit more into device(more compact)

If people are complaining about cracking the screen either deal with it or get a case, I think at least 9/10 people bought a otter box the second they got it, and I suggest you do to as well.

19. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Its funny reading old posts about dust under the screen on a 3G and 3GS, plus other posts about screen protectors causing problems with the touch controls.

Then apple fuses the screen to the glass to fix both problems, and then people complain about the pricing. :eek:

Stepping back from it all and looking at the bigger picture, its rather humors.
    I guess the old adage is true.

You can't please them all.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

9/10 people, really? how hard did you have to think to make up that statistic?

21. meatballs macrumors 6502

Yeah, Gorilla glass my ass. I bet the iPhone 5 will be made entirely out of glass, cool to show off but not something for everyday use.

22. jzon macrumors newbie

So an iPhone can't have a dust free screen and replaceable front glass at the same time? Not sure though but how about the other phones? HTC phones? Samsung?

23. OfficeLinebacke, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

For the record, around here iPhone 4 front glass repair (replace both LCD and glass) for $160 so at least that's a little less than $199. OP, what geographical area are you in?

With the back, you have to be really careful because there is a piece of shaped foil glued to the inside of the back cover that is part of the antenna system. There are uber cheap iPhone 4 backs coming out of China that don't have this foil, and it could affect the already sucky reception.

I would be very suspicious of the $30 back glass replacement, and ask to see the part off your phone alongside with the part they're replacing with, and make sure they look EXACTLY the same.

24. OfficeLinebacke macrumors member

I know the Samsung Galaxy S phones have the same construction as the iPhone 4, digitizer is bonded to display (I think the display on those is AMOLED, not LCD, please correct or verify if you know for sure).

25. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

pretty sure the genius bar wouldnt replace the backplate with a fake backplate.