We could use a popup blocker on our iphones.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by St8kout, Nov 14, 2012.

1. St8kout macrumors regular

It's annoying enough that we have the everpresent ad at the top from that comes through Apple itself, but now I'm seeing more and more websites adding ads at the bottom that stay on the screen. Then there's the ad that shows up while you are scrolling as soon as you lift your finger off the screen. With almost every news site in the country now wanting you to download their own special app (no, I don't need/want an app from the Scumwater, PA Journal), you get yet another ad for their app blocking the page. You get a lot of those when you follow a news link from another site.

There is only so much screen real estate available on a smartphone, and getting a larger screen only gets you larger ads. They are ruining the whole smartphone experience.

We need a popup ad blocker just like our home computer browsers. It was great when I was running Win64 before Adobe Flash had a 64-bit version. No more screaming, bouncing, flashing, strobing, jumping, shaking ads to contend with. I would use 64-bit IE for reading the news and the 32-bit IE for watching youtube or whatever. But alas, those days are gone. Sometimes I wish there was an on-off switch for Flash. If it wasn't for videos I'd delete it in a flash (pun intended).

While on the subject of ads, apparently their smart ad-tracking isn't so smart. After you buy something you get flooded with.....MORE ads to buy the same product. "Uh, no thanks. I already bought one. I don't need two of them."

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Ads are everywhere, it's how people make money, you'll just have to get over i.t

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you jailbreak I believe you can install some sort of mod which blocks ads on the hostfile. I did this on my Android phone and it worked awesomely.

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Yep I have adblocker (I'm jail broken) and it works wonderfully. Blocking ads also saves on battery.

Hopefully an iPhone 5 and in my case an A5 (4S) jailbreak comes soon for iOS6 cuz I'd like to be jail broken on the latest software :)

5. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

Hence the need for Apple to give us a popup blocker like we have on our web browsers. If Microsoft can give us one for IE, why not Apple for Safari? It's very doable. Maybe they will when Samsung starts including it on their phones.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

As a workaround you can use a free service like OpenDNS to block the offending ad sites.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A popup blocker would do nothing to prevent the types of ads you're talking about.

Also, neither iOS or Android is ever going to want to make it easy for you to block ads. Why do you think Google allows the use of Android without any kind of licensing fee? Ads are how Google and Apple make a good chunk of their money.

Blocking ads on your mobile device is always going to require rooting, jailbreaking, or some other kind of hack.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

You can't change the DNS on the iPhone (without jailbreaking) though.

9. iforbes macrumors 6502

10. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

ClickToFlash