We don't need no stinkin' guns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by haxrnick, Jan 14, 2015.

1. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

We have canned goods!

Principal: Let Students Hurl Canned Food at Intruders

I'm torn with this. While I agree a barrage of canned goods being thrown at someone can be a quick deterrent. I also think unless you're Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson this won't do much. What say you?

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/principal-seeks-food-cans-defend-school-intruders-28191214

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I say let it rain cans. what else would you suggest?

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I think it is a good idea. though cans may be too heavy for small kids. but hey better to give them guns instead.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ridiculous.

She should have the students watch the Home Alone movies and booby trap their school using those techniques.

Sheesh! What an idiot.

5. jkcerda, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

like a Cricket ? Neos? 10/22? what age kids? age & size depends on what they can safely handle.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If I hadn't read that this idea originated in Alabama, I would have assumed it came from Harvard, or Princeton. This is abnormally genius for the backwaters of the south. :rolleyes:

But as I've learned on these forums; the question to ask is not whether you "can" defend yourself this way; but whether you should :p

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't get your point.

Throw a fake punch at someone. Their hands reflexively will go up. They will duck their head. Just try to stop them. I don't think there is any debate on whether people can or should defend themselves. It has to be one of the most ingrained and natural reactions we have.

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Swing and a miss with the can pun I guess... :confused:

I thought the deliberately placed smilie would make it clear.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in another thread a man defended his wife from the assault & died in that process, seems some liberals think you should simply comply & hope for the best :eek:

nice pun

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Can." I get it now.

Man, that was a bad joke.

----------

What a completely baseless assumption.

Or is that a bad joke as well?

12. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

You know, this is a perfect example of prejudice. Many people assume that Southerners are 'slow' because of the way they tend to articulate their ideas. My best friend(from texas) was put in special classes because of his communication and process of thinking differed from others. He is still, to this day, probably the smartest and innovative people that I have had the pleasure of knowing.

He invented so many interesting trinkets and usefull gadgets. People joke about slower thinking in the South, but I honestly have experienced a much more intricate and precise line of thought(specifically in the south) unlike any place else.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Meh give it a rest, it was a joke. I said it in such an over-the-top way because I know there are people here who were thinking just that.

Plus, you gotta admit; its a really stupid idea.

14. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

What should be their line of defense? Btw, that's trolling.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2 cans in 4oz would double the firepower, but then you get into the 9mm(4oz) VS.45(8oz) debate .
    Luke the school get sued if the kids used the cans on each other?:eek:

----------

Nothing, they are kids, the should concentrate on school. Let the school worry about their safety

16. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

So, if someone comes in stabbing or shooting students should hide or die? That is rich, coming from a gun advocate/big man standing his ground.

You are contradictory to your own thoughts...

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Contradiction is only in your head. You obviously don't know me at all try reading this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1836733&page=2.
    Try post 29 & 31

18. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No, I read the thread. It's another example of contradiction. Thanks for the evidence. You also post about protecting yourself, and using a gun to do so because it's your right. You are a short Mexican that prefers a gun for protection. Your daughter also has a fascination with guns and advocate her use for protection.

Ring any bells or should I provide a source?

Now, recently, you would run from people with guns and children should hide? I am familiar with the term. Have you read the definition?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Everything depends on the situation at hand, said it a few times. You are hung up on what suits you . Do YOU think the children should be armed?:rolleyes:

20. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Yes! Situations are key!

For example: If someone was running around stabbing/shooting everyone in my children's school, I would be okay with them throwing cans. Would you not?

On a higher note, if a downed officer had a gun on him, I would even be okay with my son/daughter removing his/her weapon for protection. I would be okay with this because even though I do not own weapons, I have trained my children in firearm safety.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Cans might get the school sued if students used them against each other since the school requested the kids bring cans.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Why? Kids are asked to bring scissors, pencils, pens, books etc.. show and tell, kids bring rocks if they are collected. .. I think you are overexaggerating the issue.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

My main question is why cans? Why not hammers?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

All of those items have a legit school use. And can be used instead of cans

----------

Price? Availability?

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

The cans can have multiple uses as well. Surely, you don't think a can is only good for throwing?