We finally have what we've been asking for...thank you Palm, Blackberry.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evev12, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

It's time to thank the real people that made this update possible - I'm looking at you Palm, Blackberry, Android. We all know Apple hates competition, and I truly believe without the Palm Pre, other newly emerging competitive phones, and to some extent the Storm and Android, we'd still be on track for an OS 3.0 that mirrors much of what we have now. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more happy, and I'm not trying to knock Apple right after they've finally given us everything we've been asking for, but they HAD to. If they came at us with an OS of anything less, they would have lost a nice chunk of their market share - there are just too many emerging phones that would be able to complete all too easily. So, yes, I'm extremely gratefull, but not because Apple's finally opened their eyes but because the iphone finally has some real competition (which was more than overdue). I'm just hoping there's no big catch, like all the new iphones will also come with that new authentication chip, forcing us to use Apple's aftermarket earbuds.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Give it up.

Palm is going to be dead by the end of the year.
    Blackberry only cares for enterprise users.

Apple blew people out of the water today.

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Blew people out of the water? Maybe a few but I wouldn't say the the majority. They are adding features that many basic cellphones have had for years. I was thinking more like "It's about time" than "Wow cool!" when I read the list of "new" features.

The Pre still looks pretty impressive to me but that's mostly due to the multitasking aspect. Of course, the Pre is still in development as is iPhone OS 3.0 so no one outside of developers have really tested those yet.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

5. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

By giving an experience superior to iphones for cheaper to folks who don't have AT&T? How did you figure that?

Somebody has o, Apple sure doesn't.
    By putting in features that they held back in the first place, that even ancient phones have? Copy Paste? Really?

I suppose I should open a car dealership and sell cars with no thermostat, or windows, and bring in those super features 2 years from now to make my fans go wild.

Is that something you really want to go wild over?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, actually it's

apple.com/feedback
    and bug report

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hasn't palm been hemoraging money for a long time now? I think thats what he was referring to.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No Pre price has been released. The device will be expensive and possibly more than the iPhone. And it's on Sprint. No one wants to change to Sprint. Sprint is dying quicker than Palm.

Good for Blackberry for covering the enterprise. Consumer, though, are driving the market for smartphones now.

No surprise you're arguing against me considering your user name. You're more of a fanboy for Palm than anyone on these forums for Apple.

Exactly. The company has been losing cash quicker than anyone else of late. And they're already pulling back on the Pre and it's abilities.

9. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Name one "basic" cell phone that has MMS. And MMS has only been around for maybe 3 yrs.

10. sd2009 macrumors 6502

YEAH MAN APPLE FO LYFE!!! THEY NEVER GONNA LET US DOWN :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

11. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Hahahahah.... hah...hahhaha

...ha.

HAHA.

ha.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, by promising much and delivering little. This is a familiar pattern for Palm. I drank the kool aid with them multiple times through various Treo iterations. Now, I know better.

The fact that their exclusive carrier is itself barely clinging to life is also telling. It's quite the codependent relationship those two (Palm and Sprint) have.

Don't get me wrong. A device that purports to do what Roger McNamee SAYS the Pre will do would be a great addition to what's on the market. It's just not going to be the Palm or the Pre that gives it all to you, that's all.

If it had a drive-by-wire interface the eliminated the need for a steering wheel, a heads up display, the engine specs were upgradaeable, and it broke down less often than other models, I would bet that enough people would forgive the lack of windows and thermostat if those features were good enough for them. And they would be appreciative when you finally worked out the issues and offered windows and thermostat as a free install later on.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can get a PAYG phone for under £15 with MMS. It's standard on nearly all phones in Europe.

MMS was launched 7 years ago.

14. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

Are you serious? Please tell me this is a joke. This has to be the saddest post I've seen on any forum, ever.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol great job debunking thats sad sad post.

Do keep in mind however that America is woefully behind in terms of mobile technology.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

OK, the MMS comment is ridic. Every phone I've had could do MMS...

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What about your 2G iPhone? :confused:

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

o snap