We have a Republican House and Senate that for the most part hates Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 9, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not sure that we've ever experienced this kind of situation: a fairly conservative GOP Congress and a basically liberal GOP president. What does it bode for government and how it operates? Will they work together or are we looking at conflict between Congress and President Trump?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Excellent point.

That's a good thing though.
    It will work as checks and balances.

Since the dems have completely lost the plot in this election it is good that Trump will represent certain liberal values that actual make sense.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

The good thing is they don't all carry his water like the Dem Congress did for Obama under Reid and Pelosi.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Donnie will also pick a scalia replacement with virtually no resistance.

Conservative judges all the way. :D

This is like Christmas. :) :D

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right like it is a good thing to have biased judges. thats not judging. judges should be neutral or as close to is as possible.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Are you trying to cheer me up?

At the very minimum, this means the ACA is toast. If they've haven't drafted it already, a bill overturning pretty much all the ACA will be on Trump's desk by the end of February 2017. We'll have to wait and see who he nominates to the Supreme Court, but I think there is a real chance we'll get some Conservative firebrand who make Antonin Scalia look like Louis Brandeis.

I think Trump may find tearing up trade treaties is a little more complicated, and costly than he thinks. And once people start seeing huge price increases at Wal-Mart and the Chevy dealership, they'll perhaps regret their voting choices.

Another big question mark is Iran: Trump might threaten to tear up the nuclear accord, but he really has no leverage. The US already has pretty tough sanctions on Iran, and I can't see Britain, Germany, France, and Russia hopping on board that train - especially as all it would do is prompt Iran to restart its nuclear program. At this point, I think even Benjamin Netanyahu would tell Trump to leave well enough alone.

Immigration? Errr.... Unless Trump is really going to add tens of thousands of additional agents to the Federal payroll, I'm not sure how he's going to do rounding up all those naughty illegals who've been stealing our jobs. Expect a huge amount of pushback from farm states if they start cracking down too hard on employers. I expect more hassles at border crossings for anyone not carrying a US passport, and longer lines for those of us that do.

Trump's wall? Unless he offers to pay for it out of his own bulging pockets, its not going to happen.

The TransPacific Partnership is dead, although it was looking pretty moribund whoever got elected. We can forget about any action on climate change, although if the breakers start rolling over Mar-a-Lago Trump might have a change of heart.

Syria, Iraq, and ISIS? I think once Trump sits down with the Generals he might find out he doesn't actually know more than they do. He's got the option of pulling our Special Forces out of Syria and Iraq, which will - at the very least - complicate efforts to control ISIS there. Expect the Iraqi army and peshmerga forces to do a big push in the next month to clear Mosul while they still have access to US air support.

As someone who regularly travels to Europe, I've gotten a little spoiled having Obama as President. People were rightly amazed at how progressive America had become. Not anymore.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

First I'm amazed that you called Trump "basically liberal" wow, he said some things that make the PC party here cringe. Thing is, and maybe this is what America voted for, is that Trump seems like the one who's not going to operate in the fashion Congress is used to. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it's Trumps rather broad brush policies and lack of diplomacy that I'm worried about. The best thing I can see coming out of this is that his lack of filter will expose the a side of politics that many politicians don't want to acknowledge.

8. MarkusL macrumors 6502

This is awesome. He can blame all his failures on Congress.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

He should blame his predecessor, like Obama and the rest did.

10. MarkusL macrumors 6502

As long as we agree that he will fail.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Time will tell. You know what did fail this morning? Obama and his legacy.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

That strategy ultimately fails, self-evidently... The UK's Tories should learn that lesson.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Obama learned that this morning.

14. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I thought Obama failed years ago with Obamacare? Not that I think Trump will do any better, but I'm from Europe and any politician who gave us something like that over here would be rolled in tar and feathers.

15. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Trump is a populist president (think Ronald Reagan) and President-Elect Trump should work well with Paul Ryan, for Paul Ryan and Scott Walker have a nice political machine in Wisconsin. If it weren't for them, we might be saying Madame President. ;)

President Obama has a lot of executive orders......kiss them goodbye....

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Hillary should have paid more attention to Wisconsin.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't see how this matters at all. If (read: WHEN) Trump moves forward with the same corporate class that both parties have been answering to for the last several decades then what does it matter if the GOP is in power and hate him? They're still going to pass any legislation that benefits the donor class (read: Banks, multinational corporations, defense/intelligence contractors, etc.).

I take it you guys don't realize he's already revealed himself to be a corporatist?

Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future AdministrationLee Fang — Nov. 8Trump's final appeal is a transparently dishonest promise to break the control of Washington by political insiders.

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Paul Ryan stepped up, congratulated Trump and announced they will be working together.

My guess is that many Republicans ditched Trump thinking he would lose (so they could save face and get re-elected). Now that he's president with a Repub. majority in both branches, they might not stop him unless he goes ******* crazy.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

We can't get lazy.

The globalists still control the financial markets.
    They will try to use currency manipulation to fight Trump.

We won the battle, but the War is far from over.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Excellent points and for the most part my thoughts exactly. The next 4 years will certainly be interesting, I think we can assume a very different trajectory.

Working in healthcare I am of course very interested in knowing what the ACA replacement or variation will be. Just as difficult as it was to enact the ACA logistically, repealing it I imagine will be equally complicated. And if we have a government 4 years from now that's liberal, can we expect to switch back? I'm not sure patients or providers could handle all these flip flops.

Over the past 7 years the ACA has dramatically changed the landscape of healthcare. It'll be crazy to experience yet another shakeup in that regard.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well good. The more Congress hates him, the sooner the impeachment hearings.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You can't impeach a president simply because you don't like them. If that were the case, Obama would have been impeached years ago.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

They don't hate Drumpf.

They will all agree to tear the country apart.

24. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

McConnell has already told him that term limits are off the table, so that's one of his pet issues down. And there are others that will not make it past the Senate. Nice to see some opposition from within.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right and I take it that not enough people have tuned into this info, since here and there one can still hear the fizz of beer tabs being pulled, not to mention random offerings of celebratory gunfire.

So it's still apparently to those voters as if they had elected a serious populist and will soon enough hear of his having run the wrecking ball thru K-Street and shoved all the rubble into the river.

But the same kind of unmoored logic roamed the country before the election: that he was a businessman, so he'd tip over K-street and run the country like a real business.

Thinking about that... thinking...