We have the first Child shot by a armed security gaurd.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 15, 2013.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well that did not take long. If you are running around with the gun ready to fire in a school you have some serious issues.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/...accidentally-shoots-student-at-aurora-school/
    A man who police said had a second job as an “armed security officer” was being investigated after he accidentally shot a student Rangeview High School in Aurora, Colorado on Monday.

According to KMGH-TV, a school employee who also has a second job as a security officer had offered a student a ride home at the end of the day. The gun discharged, hitting the student in the leg, when the school employee tried to secure his weapon in the glove box of the car.

The man took the student to a nearby hospital, where he was rushed into surgery with a “significant injury,” police said. The injuries were not expected to be fatal.

It was not immediately clear what type of work the man did for the school, but police said that he was not a teacher.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

We need students to be armed with guns to combat situations like this.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

We should keep a scoreboard:

Number of lives saved/injuries to students and staff averted by armed guards in school.
    -VS-
    Number of lives lost/injuries to students and staff caused by armed guards in school.

Now let's arm the untrained teachers and let the games begin.

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

No reason to have a bullet in the pipe. Really shows a lack of gun safety skills or a NRA top honors graduate.

5. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

No one ever said to arm untrained teachers.

Saying to arm anyone untrained is.....well....I think i'll pass on the time out this time.

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well trained ones are not exactly safe either sometimes.

7. citizenzen Suspended

Sorry Muddy, but the chorus of more guns in the hands of more people leads to more guns in the hands of poorly trained people.

You and your NRA-loving brethren can't run away from the reality you've created.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Nonetheless, the 2nd does not impose any restrictions pertaining to ignorance and stupidity. Well, actually it does, but we seem to ignore that phrase, so upshot is that you need no qualifications other than the price of admission to own and carry a gun.

9. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

How about you go back and read the article. He isn't an armed guard in a school.

10. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Sorry but you are wrong. The proposed legislation required teachers that the school choose to allow to carry to have additional firearms training beyond the basic CPL class. It never said all teachers, it never said any teacher. The training, that I linked and you commented on in another thread, required more class time, more range time and more tactical defensive training than what is required of the state police. And it had a renewal of every other year, unlike the tactical training that that state police have to do. If I remember right, they have to renew every 3 or 4 years and in some cases every 7 years.

And I am FAR from NRA loving. As a matter of fact, i'm not even a member.

----------

Including police. But we don't have a issue with them bringing a gun into a school.:rolleyes:

11. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with guns in schools and everything to do with guns in the hands of retards. You anti gun nuts salivate over stories like this knowing well this doesn't meet your agenda criteria.

12. citizenzen Suspended

More guns in the hands of people, means more guns in the hands of retards.

That's the world you pro gun nuts are trying to create.

I hope you like the results of your work.

13. iMikeT macrumors 68020

So much for the "good guy with a gun" solution. :rolleyes:

14. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Tactical training teaches to have a round chambered at all times. LEO's advise civilians in training to have a round in the chamber.

When I was in the military a lot of years ago they started training us to carry with no round and if you carried with a round you had to have an officer present when you cleared the handgun. Then they switched weapons and advised to carry chambered.

I agree with another person that said "If you are not competent enough to carry a loaded gun with a round in the chamber then you are not competent enough to carry a gun IMO. "

All modern double action revolvers and semi-autos are safe to carry with around in the chamber. The newer single action revolvers have a transfer bar and internal firing pin. Any gun is only as safe as the person handling it.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the guy sounds like an idiot who is not very qualified for his second job as a security officer ... bet neither employer is impressed.

16. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

What you fail to understand is that it doesn't matter if guns are outlawed. Say it's an automatic death sentence to possess a firearm and all guns are taken away from everyone good and bad. All that's going to do is open up another market . We will see underground gun smiths pop up everywhere and while the price will go up criminals will still possess them. I'm not pro gun So much as I am pro life. I've been in that situation I've been shot at and all I had to make it through that was MY GUN. Taking guns away solves nothing creates more problems.

17. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I bet you are very correct.:)

18. citizenzen Suspended

Please expand your vision beyond the borders of the United States.

Many nations have drastically lower firearm injury and death as a result of restricting guns.

How can you pretend otherwise?

19. thehustleman macrumors 65816

1. Schools should have armed guards, without them some maniac goes unopposed. Those guards shouldn't be just "a school employee" but a well trained individual. We saw what happened when guns aren't allowed in schools in ct, so why not try the opposite? People that do things like that don't follow laws, if they did they would have never been in the school with those guns

2. This guy broke the rules to gun safety, more specifically the parts about treating every gun like it's loaded at all times, not pointing it at anyone) anything you're not willing to destroy, and keeping your fingers off the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Follow those rules and it's impossible to shoot anyone. There are no accidental discharges, only negligence.

3. Why wasn't it in the holster and why didn't it remain in the holster? Holsters work while you drive too

20. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

We have the first Child shot by a armed security gaurd.

Like where Mexico ? Pretty much everywhere in the Middle East? Or how about the philippines where they already have a firearm black market producing firearms. Where else were you thinking?

21. citizenzen Suspended

I must be mistaken.

Apparently nowhere else in the world do gun restrictions work.

Pardon me for wasting your time.

:rolleyes:

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why not? any untrained person can go buy a gun, sometimes without even a background check...

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why was the guard driving a student home. Seems like a liability.

24. thehustleman macrumors 65816

It isn't about restrictions, it's about culture.

Our criminals are ruthless, they don't care about laws, they merely break them.

All laws do is separate the good guys from the bad guys and give a means to punish them

25. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

I agree weirded me out