We hear about Syria, Iraq, and Iran but what about Saudi Arabia and Pakistan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Dec 3, 2015.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Attached Files:

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Cut Saudi and the Paks loose. Throw Turkey out of NATO. Enter into an alliance with Iran. Build hundreds of carbon-free nuclear power plants for all U.S. electricity generation.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

In Michael Moore's movie, he made the point that Saudi still has us by the balls. It's not just oil.

That single country owns a ridiculous 7% percent of our real estate and that's too much leverage. Remember when Japan had a lot of of our real estate but market pressures made them have to sell off a lot too quickly. That created awful problems for them and for us and it wasn't pretty.

I don't have an answer but if Moore is right, then that's scary.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

We need to cut ties with Saudi Arabia. They sponsor terrorism and have an abominable human rights record.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Source?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It'd be nice, but that's something easier said and done.

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I heard this from one of Michael Moore's movies, I think Fahrenheit 911, but the assertion could have come before Michael Moore, but this article makes a reference to the percentage and the Michael Moore movie:

http://marc.perkel.com/2004/06/27/saudis-own-7-of-america/

Personally I don't know just how they figure this, or if 7% percent is too high or too low but the idea is that they buy a lot of stuff from us, too, namely real estate. With the on again off again trends in selling properties, a strong buyer is hard to ignore.

I think the context of this was to say that since America was so owned by Saudi Arabia, then maybe George W Bush is owned by Saudi Arabia and therefore we should not re-elect Bush. IIRC there were many more strong arguments against Bush in 2004, like the economy, but Moore did give an impassioned, yet inaccurate argument.

The Bushes, and maybe America in general, may have a tendency to look the other way too much because we depend on their oil and their investment dollars, but after the last few years, there could be a change in our relationship with them.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

The major funding of terrorism comes from the United States government.

Who do you think armed ISIS?

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

They confiscated some of our leftover military gear but the USA is not the funder. Big difference.

Yes we made a mistake leaving it in unstable hands, but we won't leave stuff behind the next time we go in big and regardless of next president, we are going in big with regular full army. Unfortunately there is no other option and it's no longer a liberal versus conservative debate.

It's more like a Workd War II where there will be bipartisan support of a major military action. It won't be like Clinton's Balkan war or W's Gulf War where one party opposes the action.

I think it took this California attack to wake us up and show Sec. Panetta was right and Obama was wrong on pullout timeline. Now we have to set up shop all over again in region and it will be years again with short war but messy occupation with many bloody missteps.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

The US armed ISIS, by leaving weapons behind and they trained ISIS via the CIA and via Saudi Arabia.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    ISIS is also headed by some of the higher ups from the Iraqi Republican Guard. They're a hodgepodge of many groups that have come together under a common flag.

12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Military pullout was not up to Obama. Agreement with Iraqi government signed by Bush determined the end of the military presence in Iraq. Continued military presence would have required a new agreement that Maliki was unwilling to offer.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If this is true we have to change things.

We did help Saddam against then enemy Iran, because we would have moved heaven and earth to beat Iran, but years later Iraq became our nemesis. I don't know if you were around during Iran hostage crisis, but it got so frustrating we would have slept with the devil to free hostages and punish Iran.

I hope USA is careful about being too friendly with Iran in rush to bear ISIS.

Long historical view will show it's foolish to fully back Sunnis, then Shiites, and then probably Sunnis again. Our grandkids will ask us WTF we were thinking!

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I was hoping Obama could extend us, for the sake of Iraq.

I know keeping us in Iraq would have made Obama look like the warmonger he accused the republicans of being with fake WMD inspired war on Saddam.

15. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Iran hates the US because of very bad policies. Booting their elected government because they dared to nationalize the oil industry and installing a dictator does not usually win many friends.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

The Iraqi Republican guard was heavily influenced by the CIA. They were the ones that supported Sadam and when he first started out he was obviously also a CIA asset.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Your regime tells you to support A because B is the enemy.

Then they tell you to support B because A is the enemy.

Read "1984".

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Simply put isn't true. Moore's not the most fact-based source one could pick.

https://www.rt.com/business/171496-china-california-homes-property/

If Saudi Arabia bought less than 5% of the 7% of U.S. real estate sold in 2012 (which is less than 0.35% of U.S. real estate), then there's no way they could possibly own 7% now.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thanks to Bush/Bremer for disbanding the entire Iraqi Army instead of making them part of the rebuilding. Idiots.