We just got a late 2011 MacBook Pro, what are some of the first things I should do in setting it up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

It's a great computer! 2.8 i7, 8GB RAM, and 256 SSD.

It's a CD drive, and lots of ports.

Very happy!

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Congratulations. You should probably set iCloud first, then install apps. It would help if you let us know what you plan on using it for.

3. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Congratulations! I got a mid 2010 17 inch for Christmas from my husband. He also gave me 8 gigs of a ram and a 500 gig ssd. Things a beast! Love it.

4. halfbad macrumors member

1. Open it up, just the bottom and use compressed air on the dust that's probably been building up for the last 6 years.
    2. Fresh install Sierra.
    3. Install your software.
    4. Enjoy!

Btw I believe the drive is a SuperDrive so it's a DVD player and rewriter as well as CD's. You model will also work with the old white and silver remotes as it still has the infrared sensor, for movies and such if you like.

Your model is also supports to 16GB of ram if you wanted to upgrade but I think that's probably not necessary, depending on you usage.

Great computer, congrats!

5. jharvey71884 macrumors 6502

I would love to get one of these. You can pick them up for so cheap. But I'm afraid the board would be toast a day after purchasing.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

It's just a family computer for internet browsing, calendar, reminders like dentist appointment, and maybe facetime.

We like to think of it as a "library computer"