We need a way to report annoying telemarketing recordings.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

A few days after getting my iPhone, I started getting recorded telemarketing messages every few days. I thought it was illegal to telemarket to cell phones, especially when unsolicited.

Apple, please add this feature...

Attached Files:

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

And who do you propose is informed of this unwanted telemarketing?

Apple? They would lose money by setting up a section to deal with this. Its not in their interest

At+t? They would also lose money setting this up, and (as I understand it), don't you get charged for incoming calls? Shurely At+t aren't exactly going to push for companies to make less calls to your mobile then?

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I hate phone calls like this (luckily they go to my home # and not my mobile), but I don't think it concerns Apple (or any other phone manufacturer) much. A quick google search of that number shows that it appears on several telemarketing complaint sites (as a pre-recorded call about your cars warranty)... so it's pretty much a sure bet that it's a scam recording or a business with highly questionable tactics.... so signing up on a do-not-call list isn't going to do much.

Instead of looking to Apple, how about you just call your phone service and have them block the number from calling you?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They spoof their caller ID numbers so your suggestion is worthless.

5. Turmoil macrumors regular

Who do you think it's going to get reported to? What makes you think it's illegal. In America we are protected, check our 1st amendment. You might try the do not call list. But it's not illegal for folks to call you. Sorry. Freedom and all that rot.

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

My policy is to never answer calls from a number I don't recognize. Been this way for a long time. If it's important they can leave a message. No sense to wasting precious minutes.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

FTC info on Cellphones and Telemarketers: Click Me!
    It says;
    Here’s what you need to know about the National Do Not Call Registry program:

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Ditto, people just let curiosity kill them. Many will even call back unknown missed calls just to ask them if they called them for a reason. If it's not important enough for a message then I couldn't care less.

9. richg916 macrumors regular

10. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Yea, same. Unless it's from my own area code, because I've lost so many numbers that it could be someone that I don't know. Now, if it's a missed call (no matter where) with no voicemail, I just don't worry about calling back.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could, but it would be pointless. These calls are already illegal. The people who place them are already breaking the law. They know it but don't care.

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

There is also an app in the app store that you can download to help avoid telemarketing calls. It is a database that has a ton of known phone numbers they they use (and the database is user-updated). It adds a "do not answer" contact in your contacts list and puts all those numbers in there. Might be a good option if you dont want to answer the calls... http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289527163&mt=8

Although, you can probably do that on your own just by adding every call you get to a contact like that.

13. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

I'm pretty sure that the reason we are getting these calls is because AT&T is selling your number.

When I had T-Mobile or any other carrier I never got telemarketing calls but a few days after I switched to AT&T I started to get them and now I get them all the time. Strange coincidence? Not likely, I think AT&T is selling our numbers to make a little extra money. Considering how much I pay them each month I really find that to be quite irritating.

I do agree that there should be a way to block calls via AT&T's website. I think at the very least, blocked calls should be able to be blocked entirely or go to your voice mail.

14. acrafton macrumors 6502

You are correct! I ported a Vonage number over to ATT and within weeks started getting calls. I had that Vonage number for 5 years and never got these calls . . now, 1-3 a week.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I fail to see why this should be built into a phone OS.

Much like with landlines, every other cell phone, and anything else that makes phone calls on the market, you're gonna have to just google the number, find out where it's coming from and try to get removed from whatever list(s) you may be on.

I don't see how/why Apple would/should do this for iPhone owners, on their behalf.

16. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Because Apple employees are iPhone users also, and they are pissed off too!
    It could simply gather how many people report a given number, and if more than 1000 people report the same number, Apple's server will automatically report the number to the branch of the government that investigates violators of the Do-Not-Call List.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Again, this is not a DNC list violation. Telemarketing to mobile phone numbers is illegal, full stop. It is also sadly pointless to report these numbers to the FCC because more often than not the caller ID is spoofed, and even if it is not, they're active only briefly before the criminals move to another number. These people know how to continue doing what they do.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think it's more likely that you've given out your number somewhere else and they've sold it. In my 5+ years of Cingular/AT&T service I've gotten 3 or 4 unsolicited calls; would certainly be more if they were actively selling my number.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unlikely. These crooks don't need to buy any phone numbers. The vast majority of these calls are made with war dialers. They dial every number in an exchange in sequence. The world is divided into two types of people: those who've had these calls, and those who will.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

What I also find interesting is that I get an email every now and then from AT&T with the subject "IMPORTANT ACCOUNT INFORMATION", but it nothing more than a sales pitch for new services. I don't know if it was because of my cell line or from when I had my home phone through AT&T. I figure it's the latter, because when I was with BellSouth (who was bought by AT&T), I received so many sales calls from BellSouth (sometimes multiple calls per day), that I had to cancel my phone line. Get that, they tried so hard to sell me on extra features, that they lost my business altogether.