We need to become an Evil Empire or butt-out!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Apr 19, 2017.

1. lostngone, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We have wasted trillions of dollars and killed tens of thousands of people in the last 30 years with our foreign policy and what do we have to show for it?

If we are going to invest all this money and lives to invade these these counties only to pull out 8 or 10+ years later and not make anything better in the process why not just annex the region and take the land. At least we would have something to show for the money spent and lives lost.

I say we pass a put-up or shut-up law. We shouldn't get involved in any foreign government action for any reason unless we are ready to occupy said country permanently.

2. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

The military/intelligence is the enforcement arm of USA Inc. Destruction of the regime is the only requirement, theorize our masters, to make that country compliant with their desires. Humanity is irrelevant.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The military industrial complex continues to be pleased by American intervention.

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Because we've learned that colonialism doesn't work. It's too resource intensive and the only way to make it worth our while is to do evil things like subjugate the population and/or extract resources without compensation.

So instead, we tried (or are trying?) this new-aged version of it called "exporting democracy", which is supposedly less evil because we don't stick around. We just try to stay long enough to make other people's societies look and function like ours. Problem is that surprisingly, not everyone in the world wants American values exported to them. So we leave with the job half done and another country in shambles.

Soon we will be on to some other version of meddling because, for reasons I don't quite understand, we seem to believe that we need to (and actually have the ability to) save the world from itself.

5. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I am not disagreeing but that is what we are basically doing now but worse. We show up and create power vacuum, take control and force them to do things our way until we run out of money or lose interest and then leave and let everyone fend for themselves.

Yep and we have nothing to show for it except a lot of pissed off people.

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Yes, because it worked so well for a now defunct empire.

7. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The Roman Empire lasted a long time.

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Not an empire I was referring to, but fair play.

From what I gather, what you're suggesting is we either don't do anything or simply take over other countries we wish to temporarily occupy, correct? Take over their government, with force or otherwise, imprison those who rebel and rewrite their laws so they reflect the United States? What about forced labor?

9. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

And when it went teats-up, it left behind a Dark Age lasting, arguably, a thousand years.

Not something I want the USA to emulate.

10. Cox Orange, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Marshall-Plan worked. Free continent, invest money to build up the destroyed economy, money comes back, when they buy something from the US. US profits from the products of the investsments, when US buy stuff from them, that the US doesn't have enough capacity, ressources or material to produce on its own. Along the way implement/introduce democratic values in occupied country you trade with.

(EU invests money into Greece, Greece uses the money that it just got to pay back their depth/credits, bank gets their money back. Along the way the money is also used to pay workers. Workers pay taxes and buy things. Buy buying things they strenghten the economy...

... in theory.)

One could (Edit: I know there are some that would) argue against it, that it's a sort of state funded recovery/economy programm... a system that feeds itself from itself.

11. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

State funded recovery systems are necessary, so that the working men and women can bail out the billionaires, when they get it wrong. Although, obviously, safety nets, such as single payer health, are unamerican.
    There is , I think, no-one resembling Marshall, FDR or any other new deal politician left alive. Except perhaps Major Tulsi.