WE the people have to do something about U.S. Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

U.S. Carriers
    don't care about quality or us....
    ALL they want is money...they are super greedy charging people twice for the same things and very stupid reasons too. They doing all these escuses just to charge people more.

I mean if lots of people complain/protest we can force those carriers to fix their mistakes. This can't be a stupid topic because I know many people feels the same way as I do about greedy people. :(

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'm on Verizon and I get excellent quality and customer service. It's only in the price where they bend me over. However, no one else offers what I have with them, so I'm not complaining.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'd be curious for the specific instance that cause the OP to rally against the carriers (is it because you're not allowed the upgrade price because you signed a two-year contract when you bought your 4s last fall?)

The best way to fight against the carriers is to buy your phones off-contract. That way you can come and go as you please and choose the best equipment and carriers.

Unfortunately most people won't do that because they think that phones are worth no more than $200, not realizing that cell phones in the US have been subsidized by the carriers for years.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Vote with your wallet, choose a different carrier.

5. leoneedees macrumors member

That's exactly how we feel with Verizon as well. The service and quality are both fantastic but the price is a little high. But for what we are getting in return we sometimes complain, but would never change carriers here.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I agree, AT&T and Verizon is very expensive. But, building out nationwide networks is expensive and that money has to come from somewhere. Buying spectrum is expensive. That money has to come from somewhere.

Here's my problem: They have implemented a technology that allows them to process data cheaper yet they are charging more. If they would have just left the plans alone I would have been perfectly fine.

Price wise AT&T and VZW are within $10 of each other for what I need with the new share plans, I say colusion. I finally give up. I'm just going to stay a year behind on phone models and buy them used for $300 or so when everyone starts dumping them for the new models. I'm not paying $800 for a phone outright. But I'm hanging on to my unlimited as long as I can, especially with LTE coming.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

So, what is your specific issues?

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

But as you say, building nationwide networks is expensive. So they may have implemented technology that makes data cheaper, but that technology didn't just materialize out of thin air for free. It cost money as well.

That said, I'm with on on the colusion aspect. It may not be express colusion, but neither carrier is going to stray too far from the other.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

We the people... in order to form a more perfect union...

Dang it, now I'm going to have Schoolhouse Rock in my head all day.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

If you don't like the carriers Buy unlocked and go on tmobile. They have very reasonable plans and once their reframing is complete their 3G will be the fastest 3G for an iPhone in the US.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I know it's expensive, but these are telecom companies. They didn't build LTE on a 5 year plan. These things are paid for over very long periods of time. Once the rollout is complete and they shut off 3G, they can sit back counting their money without ever raising rates they still get a higher profit than before.

The way they are doing it now just provides even more profit in the long run. Sure their shareholders are happy but the consumers are getting screwed.

12. 617aircav Suspended

I have done something about it. I refused to pay att $20 a month for texting, so o don't and text through google voice.

13. bigpizza macrumors newbie

Hello. Here in Sweden our prices are very generous. For about 40 dollars a month you get 30GB of internet, 3000 free text messages. You also get to phone for 25 dollars. Every minute costs 0.04 dollars and it costs 0.1 dollars to connect when making a new phone call. So those 25 dollars should last you quite good.

And the best of all, you get the phone for free (e.g. iPhone 5) if you sign up for a 24 month contract. So in total you pay 40 dollars times 24 = 960 dollars. Now if we remove the 600 dollars which the iPhone 5 might cost, you've payed 360 dollars for 24 months of service. Which is 15 dollars a month.

So you get to talk for 25 dollars with incredibly cheap minute prices (good luck busting the limit). You get all of the above for 15 dollars a month and a mature 4G coverage which will be converted later for use with iPhone 5.

Good luck matching us Swedes. I've seen the prices you have to pay. Real rip offs plus that you have to put down at least 199 dollars. It's crazy.

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Verizon and ATT are the same company. No one could convince me otherwise. They have been fixing prices, matching each others absurd plans, for years. They are the perfect example of a duopoly.

However, Verizon has the most coverage, highest prices.

ATT has excellent coverage, arguably the best data speeds for 3G, and talk + data is standard.

Sprint sucks unless you are lucky enough to be in one of the very few markets where their signal is great.

T-mobile...... don't get me started. I'll never give them a dime again. And their service is not even comparable to ATT or VZW.

So ATT/VZW have a good reason for doing what they do. They are the "best" with coverage, they get the "best" devices, and their LTE coverage is expanding daily. That's why you pay the premium to be with them. Is it right? No. But that's how it works in America. Pharmaceuticals, car companies, cable companies..... it all works this way.

What you hate is Capitalism, not the US cell phone market. And good luck speaking out against capitalism, because most people on the internet will just label you a terrorist or a 10 year old.

15. Surrylic macrumors regular

I agree we do need to do something about these carriers, and the only way to fight as someone else mentioned is through your wallet. My money is going to Straight Talk. $45 unlimited everything, said goodbye to AT&T and their ridiculous rates a month ago.

The only downside is no LTE, but I have to drive an hour and a half just to find LTE anyway so no big loss.