Weak signal with iPhone 5(all carriers)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DFDNY444, Oct 27, 2012.

1. DFDNY444 macrumors newbie

Myself and many of my friends who own iPhone 5's have noticed weak to no signal in places where others with iPhone 4s' have strong signal. I'm with AT&T and so is my girlfriend. There have been many times where her 4s has 3-4 bars and my 5 says "no signal."

Also, this doesn't seem to be unique to a specific carrier, just last night, a friend of mine with a Sprint iphone 5, had no signal while others with Sprint iphone 4s had signal.

Anybody finding this to be a pattern?

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

are you on LTE? Try resetting network signal

----------

resetting network settings*

3. chad2ss macrumors newbie

My service (AT&T) is awful compared to my 4S.

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

During the first week after the iP5 launch, I was curious about the same. My wife and I are both on the AT&T network. She has the iP4S. As such, I did compare the signal strength between the 2 iPs. Thus far, they appear to be the same. When comparing the said, both iPs were housed in similar TPU cases.

5. Mikex6956 macrumors newbie

I agree ! Iphone 5 on telus as a weak signal compared to my previous iphone 4s!
    Carrier or Apple ???
    It is the question?

6. DFDNY444 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that the other night while in a friends basement. My gf had 3 bars "4G according to AT&T" I had no signal. Reset network, nothing. Shut phone off, when I turned it back on I actually saw an "E" which I'm assuming is for edge. It then went back to no signal. I wound up using her 4S the rest of the night to access the internet.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

8. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I get better service on my i5 then I did with my Galaxy S3

9. alent1234 macrumors 603

same here
    att iphone 5 get much better reception than my 4s

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'll add turn off LTE for a closer comparison.

11. darster Suspended

My signal is actually better on Verizon. Went from the Razr Maxx to the 5, and I hold LTE a lot better than my Maxx. Even when it goes to 3G, I have better signal strength.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

the qualcomm radio in the iphone 5 is made on a 28nm process. that's more advanced than the current Intel CPU's

13. theanimala macrumors 6502

I am on Verizon, and I notice my signal on my i5 is lower in the same place than my wife with her 4S. If I go and turn of LTE my signal strength ends up being the same. Not happy that LTE seems to have a lower signal than 3G, I was hoping for at least the same.

14. darster Suspended

In some cases, the closest tower may only have 3G, and you are picking up LTE from a tower further away. I know that is my case. When I turn LTE off signal goes up to 4 bars at home, turn it on and it drops to 2 bars. The closest tower is less than a mile away, however, that tower does not have LTE.