Wealth Inequality Visualized

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by splitpea, Mar 5, 2013.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was literally going to post this as I just watched it. Here's the video inline.

Our tax policy over the last 30 years or so has caused this. Even worse, mobility out of the lower classes is far, far harder than it was. The American Dream no more.

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

WOW. That is very eye opening. Thanks for posting.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting article written by one of the original researchers: How Americans view wealth and inequality

So, since the vast majority of Republicans say they want a fairer society (just like Democrats) why can't they cooperate with the other side and get it done?

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Excellent. I usually eschew multimedia in favor of graphs and charts, but, I think this presents the data in a way that makes excellent use of time.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cue the "it's not a pie/not a zero-sum-game" and "you're just jealous" comments from the austrians/objectivists/glibertarians in 4…3…2…

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Don't forget the ever-popular "class warfare".

8. Weerez935 macrumors regular

Our tax policy is flawed with loop holes, subsidies and lobbyist.
    The way to fix it is not by punishing the wealthy because they are successful.

This is like saying since you have 3 apple products (that you worked hard to buy) you should give one of those to someone who doesn't make enough to buy one themselves.

However, I should not pay more taxes than General Motors either.

You want to make wealth distribution fair?
    Lower corporate tax to a level competitive with the rest of the world
    Drug test people on welfare
    Cut welfare abuse so its going to people who need it. Not the ones who spend their food / housing / medical money on their car payment, phone bill etc.
    Completely eradicate healthcare law
    Even if its not a balanced budget, at least pass a budget.
    Congress makes average family wage- requires performance
    Reform education so younger employees are worthy of hiring
    I have worked with the public for many years even currently in pharmacy and the blatant abuse of welfare is shocking.

Successful people should not be punished for hardwork.

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

...it's like you just ignored every single thing in the video.

10. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

Lmao the less tax for the rich/billion dollars companies?

Get rid of healthcare law? Thus let standards drop, give more power to these massive health organisations who simply care about numbers and profit?

Not all people who are on wealth are are drug addicts.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Equating a wealthy person's desire for luxury consumer electronics with a poor person's need for food and shelter is obscene. Many of our fellow Americans live in poverty, even though they're working hard. Got it?

You might want to read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21636723

12. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I didn't say that but when I worked my way through college working at a convience store we had thousands of customers buy wraps, then come back 30 minutes later and buy 40-50$ worth of junk food with ebt.

I did not ignore the video nor did I say all welfare recipients are junkies, but a lot are.

The healthcare law will make healthcare more expensive for everyone (except those below a certain income bracket), it will also degrade the quality of care, as well as making new hires for any us job more expensive.

I work in healthcare, and I've read the bill. To assume that I'm not informed / enlightened is your parogative.

I did not say companies / wealthy people should not pay tax but a tax based on income/ success is taxation without representation. I'd rather see companies actually pay 10%-15% as opposed to getting a kick back for the solar panels on the roof while housing their funds in offshore accounts.

The thing is simple we pay out for than we pay in. That is unsustainable. The problem is not the wealthy are not paying enough. In fact many of the honest (non offshore account holders) pay up to 60% of their income in taxes.
    The problem is the bottom 80% only pay 30% of taxes while the 20% pay the rest. Although the bigger problem is the governments spending problem not the amount of taxes.

Healthcare needs reformed but all that bill did was add another middle man. The insurance companies will get forced out, the government barged in and rates go up all around. Real reform would be eliminating the long line of middle men between the doctor and patient where healthcare became affordable, not subsidized.

Not to mention it bankrupts Medicare in 2 years.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The laughable thing about that is there is actually class war,it's being waged by the rich against the poor and for a long long time they've been winning.

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

I like this one most. Even if it's broken, just rubber stamp it so we can say we used our rubber stamp today!

That's the one really positive thing I like about our current governor in Michigan - after having a state shutdown and almost having another during the last governor (Granholm), Snyder made it so not only does a budget need to be passed, but it must be balanced.

It led to some real growing pains the first time around, but it's worked out well since.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Too late for class warfare. We've all lost.

I can't help wonder what it was like living in feudal England in the Dark Ages. All the land and power held tightly by a handful of lords and nobles - and the rest of us just peasants. Is that where we're being led?

16. Weerez935 macrumors regular

I did not equate a wealthy persons desire for consumer electronics to an impoverished persons need for food and shelter. I related it to wealth redistribution. The fact that people can say that wealth redistribution is more fair than a flat tax is beyond me. And just so you know I did not apply that to every one but you are all foolish if you do not see how these programs have been abused. I'm all for helping people out. I've volunteered / donated to many charities. I used to do benefit concerts for scottish rites hospital in dallas when I was in highschool and broke. You people are so narrow minded and fleed to bbc like sheep when someone has a different opinion you simply distort what was said instead of having any pertainent arguement.

The current welfare system does not help people become more financially stable it merely makes them dependant and punishes them the closer they get to independence.

----------

The fact that congress failed to pass a budget even when dems had the house, senate and presidency is astounding. Because even they knew it was ridiculous.

17. Arran, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's like playing golf with a bunch of your friends. Without handicaps, all games would end the same: The same strong player would always win. Is that good for the game? Would the game even survive?

----------

Well in the context of all the other sources posted previously, that's what it sounded like.

Okay, you do get it. Very commendable. My apologies.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

We are getting close to 1929 levels of wealth inequality...just sayin'.

19. splitpea, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Becuse they come from different premises about what will achieve that goal, about how important it is to achieve, and about whether the measures that would achieve it are "fair"/constitutional.

Edited to add: also because all that money means the top 1% have more clout in politics and media than the bottom 60%+. That's republican citizens, not politicians.

Edited again to add: and because people are so uninformed about what the actual wealth distribution is - as the video demonstrates, people think it's much more equal than it actually is.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

And, it is very clear from many of the "conservative" posts in PRSI that most angry gun-toting old white men don't realize what the real situation is either. I wonder how many of them will take the time to watch the video?

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I watched the video. The message I got from it, frustratingly enough, is "92% of people are bad at math."

22. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you get that message? Uninformed, sure. Bad at math?

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's utter nonsense. No one pays anywhere near that much on taxes.

I just looked over 3 of my tax returns. I'm single (highest rates) and live in NY State and at that time, in NYC so I had high state income taxes as well as a city income tax, a burden much higher than the vast majority of states.

2007 - earned $184K - paid 32% in taxes
    2008 - earned $173K - paid 33% in taxes
    2009 - earned $196K - paid 33% in taxes.

In later years, I paid less as I no longer lived within NYC limits.

I don't have a lot of deductions (mortgage interest, state taxes, some business expenses) and no off shore money or use any accounting gimmicks. I maxed out my 401K each year.

If you add in property taxes, 10% of money spent on sales taxes and SS, you still fall far short of 60%.