Web Pages Wont Open On My Macbook Pro When I connect to certain Wi-Fi Routers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jemmy789, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jemmy789 macrumors newbie

Ok so I bought a used Macbook from my friend and it wont connect to my wi-fi service. It connects to My neighbors linksys perfectly, and I would use it all the time if it was always available. I have a Belkin Router. It connects to my wi-fi but that little icon that shows the signal strength just has a exclamation point, and says there's no internet access although, when I used to use my PC laptop to connect to my wi-fi it worked perfectly. Also when I go to school and try to connect to the wireless service there it connects perfectly and the signal strength is full, but when I try to open a page it just doesn't load. From reading a previous thread on this site I thought I might have to re-format my mac but Ive never done this and I am new to Mac's so I don't want to do something that I don't fully understand and might even end up giving me even more problems. Not to mention it works just fine when I connect it to my Ethernet port...
    Please Help!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your Belkin router is probably the problem at home. Belkins have a long history of not playing nicely with Macs for reasons unknown. The problems aren't limited to their routers, either.

At school your network administrator is probably using some form of authentication that would allow or disallow a device to connect to the internet. My guess is that your device is not authorized.

3. Mersailios macrumors regular

Is your wireless access point secured with any form of encryption? If so, what type of encryption are you using (for example, WEP, WPA, WPA2)?

4. colinwil macrumors regular

I had this too with a Belkin router.

Do you have the install CD that came with the router? Install it, and everything should start working. I don't know what it does exactly, but it worked for me.

Once its working, check the Belkin site for firmware updates for your router. They have recently provided firmware updates for several of their models to work better with Apple technologies - Bonjour etc.