Webcam for PC - Mac question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vdoc, Nov 25, 2009.

1. vdoc macrumors newbie

I hope that this is in the right section. My parents have an existing PC and they want to communicate with me using Skype. So they need to buy a webcam.

I have never used the built in webcam on my Macbook Pro so here are my questions.

1. Do they need to buy a particular webcam that will work with skype?

2. Can I communicate with them using iChat on my mac when not using Skype or do I have to use Skype? Would the software included with their webcam communicate with my mac?

3. Alternately do I/they need skype?

I apologize but like i said this is all new to me and they are 1200 miles away so I won't be setting up the webcam for them. trying to make this easy for both of us. I don't want to purchase any software/hardware since that is built into the Mac already

2. knewsom macrumors 6502a

You both need skype which is no big deal since it's free. It also has MUCH better video quality than iChat, so be glad you're going to use Skype.

The built-in webcam in your mac will work just dandy with Skype. Good chatting!

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I don't think you'll have any issues. They just need to plug in a webcam(any webcam will work with skype) and download skype and they'll be fine. Same for you, just download skype and start talking!

cheers

4. vdoc thread starter macrumors newbie