Website for IMEIinfo says lock status "Unknown"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shankar2, Sep 25, 2013.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

What does that mean? I'm restoring the iphone 5s tmobile from apple online store).

Should I wait for the unlock status to appear?

2. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

I saw that too...

I assume that they all say that, until you activate it with Apple's activation servers. But, if you paid full price, it SHOULD say 'unlocked'. Please report back, as I'm slightly curious too :)

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

those sites can't be trusted...
    restore the phone in iTunes and wait for the itunes msj that your phone is unlocked to appear... It's the only way you can be sure is unlocked besides changing SIM cards.

4. anonnymouse macrumors regular

If IEMIinfo says "unlocked" for my iPhone, can that be 100% relied upon? I submitted a request ages ago where the carrier says it's not completed yet, yet this site infers that it is. Who would you suggest I trust?

Of course, I just need to get a sim and test it out I suppose...

5. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

thx for the reply i shall post the results here in one hour

6. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys I did the restore and that message didn't show up at all ! (congrats your phone is unlocked).

Bad luck. I might just have to try switching sims and if they don't work then buy the iphone 5c unlocked!

7. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Does iphoneimei.info show unlocked now?

8. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

It shows "UNKNOWN" still! Bad luck I guess. I'll try switching sims tomm and check if things work or it's going back to apple!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That message isn't guaranteed. I've never seen it, but my phone (admittedly a 4S) is definitely unlocked.

10. ATC macrumors 6502a

This is true, when my wife's iP5 was restored using iTunes it indeed showed that message (cant' recall the exact wording but it was something along the lines of "Congratulations, you're phone is unlocked" or something like that).

However, when I did the same on my iP5 (which is also factory unlocked), that message never showed up. I called Apple and they said that iTunes doesn't always show that message and they confirmed on their end that my phone is unlocked.

If you really want to make sure, other than as you said inserting another SIM, it's best to call Apple and get the IMEI verified as unlocked on their white list. It literally took them 5 seconds to check unlock status.

11. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for the tip about calling Apple support. I shall do the same tomm.

If they say unlock I shall get an ATT sim prepaid!