Wedding Chapel Sues After Idaho Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 20, 2014.

1. rdowns, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you don't like not discriminating, go back to marrying people at your church.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/10/20/3581733/idaho-marriage-chapel-adf/

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

They are welcome to reorganize as a church . . .

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If the owners can show that doing so would be in violation of their religious beliefs then I imagine they would.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From the article.

6. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I have not looked at the details, but this appears to be factually similar to the Hobby Lobby case, e.g., a closely-held corporation that operates to some degree under the religious principles of its owners, and a broad ordinance comes into conflict with those principles and operation of the business.

Federal RFRA says that government shall not substantially burden a person’s (a.k.a. a closely-held corporation or other private business) exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability (such as this ordinance) unless there is a compelling government interest AND the government is using the least restrictive means to achieve that interest.

Just checked, and it appears that Idaho has a state RFRA that is nearly identical to the federal RFRA.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they are state employees then they shouldn't be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples, but since it appears that they aren't the State shouldn't force them to change their religious beliefs.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Force a local Pakistani eatery to serve pork and get back to me.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

First, why would any LGBT couple want to be married by such bigots? If they are so set in their beliefs that they won't serve the LGBT community, then they deserve to lose out on that revenue. Ignore them. Don't give them any publicity. The LGBT community should just avoid this place so that they have no standing for a lawsuit. Screw them. Let them wither in place. There will be ten places glad to take their money.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Is pork a protected class now? :D

I agree with you - no LGBT couple wants to be married by bigots. And I'm sure they'll all take their money elsewhere now that they know about this particular place.

That said, anti-discrimination laws have to be enforced to be effective. If they aren't enforced, what's the point?

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The problem is they are wanting a test case so they can sue. Their little two bit business hits the front page of many newspapers. Screw them. avoid them like the plague.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So you believe that we should pick and choose which businesses should have to adhere to the law?

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I don't think we should give them the test case they are looking for... Screw them. Instead of them refusing to marry LGBT which gets them front page headlines, how about the LBBT boycotts them?

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

From the OP:

Looks like they're creating their own headlines.

And no matter who instigated this situation, if anti-discrimination laws aren't enforced, they are useless. LGBT groups will boycott these companies ANYWAY once they make it clear they don't want their business. However, these laws still need to be enforced.

Do you not believe in enforcing the law?

15. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Is eating pork a protected class now?

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Right, so they get a ton of free publicity. What I'm saying is the LGBT community can do more by just quietly boycotting this company. Give them no violation because they won't have reason to violate. Then there will be no standing for a lawsuit.

Focus on publicizing the marriage places that are marrying LGBT.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From the OP

It looks like they are smart enough to learn from past history that while the majority of Same Sex couples will just not go to places that don't want to marry them there are always a few that will try to go and punish people for following their beliefs. So it seems like they are just trying to preempt a lawsuit that would be coming before too long anyway.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

When fighting for equal rights, quiet is the last thing you should be.

Or, you know, they could just follow the law.

Forget about punishing people for following "their beliefs", how about punishing people for breaking the law?

I'll say again, anti-discrimination laws (no matter who is being discriminated against) are only effective if they are enforced.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

All they want is free advertising.

That is just it, they haven't broken the law, yet. They are putting this information out there so that LGBT couples will come there, then they can refuse and get a citation which gives them standing to sue, making front pages everywhere.

Do you really see a win making them marry LGBT couples against their will?

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It appears as if you don't understand the concept of anti-discrimination laws.

We could have had this discussion 50 years ago, except replace LGBT couples with black men and women and replace marriages with sitting down at a counter to eat.

How did that turn out? Was it a "win" in your book?

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I do. Allowing them to discriminate against these couples would effectively allow a religious motel owner to do the same, why not a religious restaurant owner too? What about someone who is an Atheist but still doesn't like gay people and wants to discriminate against them? Does he have less right to do so than the religious folks? Why should anyone get that right?

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That is an absurd - and invalid - comparison

Can you force McDonalds to serve foie gras and Champagne? Can you force a Buffalo Wild Wings to serve vichyssoise and creme brûlée? You can't.

You can force McDonalds and Buffalo Wild Wings to serve people of every race who walk in the door.

You can't force a business to change what is on the menu. But you can prevent a business from illegally discriminating against people.

If you open a Halal restaurant you can serve whatever food you like. But you cant discriminate against Jews, Christians, Druids or atheists who walk in the door.

The Wedding Chapel people have Weddings on their Menu. They can't discriminate against people of mixed races, different religions, or because they are of one gender or the other.

23. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Absurd? Using your analogy you are saying it is OK for a BBQ joint to not offer a Vegan alternative. So if I'm a Vegan I would never go to that place because it doesn't offer me what I want to eat. How is that so different than a wedding chapel just having a menu option for opposite sex marriages? If I'm a same sex couple wanting to get married I wouldn't go there if that choice was not on the menu.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're right, you shouldn't be able to force a business to change what they offer from offering opposite sex marriages to same sex ones.

25. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Their "menu" doesn't offer gay wedding services, so the state will force them to. This product is not on their shelves. It's something they don't want to sell, so the state is going to make them.

Sounds legit...I will expect some slow roasted swine at my local Halal shop next. If they don't, I will expect the municipality to knock down this clear discrimination.