Week Old MBP is Screwed, Crashed NO Less Than 20 Times in 24 hrs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsa420, Sep 3, 2009.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

So it appears that my one week old MBP is totally fed as it has sporadically frozen no less than a 2 dozen times in the last 24 hrs. Upon purchase, I installed 8gb of RAM and 2 SSD's and have had nary an issue until yesterday (1 week later).

NO new software was installed for several days and the crash reports have been all over the map in regards to the cause. Additionally have run latest TechTools and analyzed every facet of the machine, including thorough tests on the memory.

Additionally I wiped the drives clean last night with zero write erase and then reinstalled OS. Problems still persist.

Does this sound like the machine is just failing or does this sound like a memory related issue? BTW, both SSD's were running flawlessly in my last MBP for several months so I have ruled these out.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Go back to using original RAM and disk and see if that cures it. If it doesn't then send the machine back to Apple and ask for replacement. If it does then it's the RAM you added - and sometimes RAM testing doesn't tell you the absolute truth about the RAM.

3. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, that was my plan, to replace the RAM first with the original as that is what i suspect might be causing the issues. unfortuneatley i am traveling presently and dont have the original ram or drive so i have to suffer through these continued crashes.

would bad RAM cause seemingly random applications to cause these issues?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you installed and upgraded two components and are now having issues. Remove the ram and see if the stability returns, then if not, remove the SSD and do the same thing. Clearly the ram or the SSD is defective.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

crashes like those you describe are usually bad ram related..which is good b\c it's easy to fix. Most 3rd party ram have good warranties, and apple will replace it easily if it's their ram's fault.

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Bad RAM can cause just about any issue you can think of, so yeah try putting in the original RAM first, or better yet check if your 8GB is seated correctly.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since you're currently away and traveling. Try removing just one of the 4gb sticks and run the other. If you have problems still, swap with the other. Both can't be bad at the same time so hopefully you can still be productive on 4gb.

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Both can be bad, if the ram sticks are bad. one might be good but it's entirely possible that both sticks are bad given how the computer is behaving.

9. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just got home and the machine was fine for the last 3 hours while I was on my flight, not one crash/freeze. Now with in the first 5 mins of being home and back online the machine froze again.

I still plan to put in the old RAM and see if the same issues continue to happen. However, I am struggling with the fact that these freezes are so random and hours can go by without any issues.

Any other options to try and diagnose?