Weekend violence pushes number of people shot in Chicago this year to 2,100

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XrayTed, Jul 11, 2016.

1. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Any comments from BLM or any prime time speeches planned by Obama over this horrific wave of African carnage in just 1 single American city ?? If black lives really do matter then they ought to address this issue, lest people think that the only time they matter is when they are killed by white cops in the line of duty.

Any rants from the usual left wing suspects how gun control must be enacted in Chicago ? Ooops thats right, they already have some of the strictest gun control measures in the nation, looks like thats not working out too well, precisely because criminals will always get weapons no matter what laws are enacted - By nature, a criminal does not care about or heed any laws.

Weekend gun violence in Chicago pushed the number of people shot in the city this year to around 2,100 — about 700 more than this time last year.

A total of 43 people were shot in the city over the weekend, four of them fatally. Nineteen of those were shot during an 11-hour stretch Friday night into Saturday morning, including two men wounded on a crowded sidewalk outside a taco restaurant in Wicker Park, according to police.

Late Saturday, a 21-year-old man was killed and a 15-year-old boy was wounded as they played basketball in Ogden Park in Englewood on the South Side, police said.

Between Friday into Saturday morning, two men died and at least 17 others were wounded; another man was killed and 15 people were hurt from Saturday morning to early Sunday; a fourth man was killed and seven were wounded in shootings Sunday afternoon and evening.

So far this year, there have been at least 344 homicides in Chicago. That's 102 more than this time last year, according to data kept by the Tribune.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hurt-in-weekend-shootings-20160711-story.html

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how can so many be shot with all that gun control there?

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The free market still being able to sell all those guns to people who then distribute them illegally but then not enforcing laws? Anarchy worked great or otherwise civilization and society would never have had a demand to create a supply with to begin with.

Let's just give everyone guns, who cares about laws if they won't be enforced. The neighborhoods will be empty soon enough, even those of the people who posted before me but nobody will know because everyone's been shot by weapons designed to enable cowards.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2016 ---
    And, yes, we know criminals don't give a **** about laws. But as we've seen in recent events, people who had weapons on them ran like sissies from the scene as opposed to using them - there are no good guys with guns, if all they will do is run or not stand up to stop the bad guys with guns.

Never mind this gem of an article:

Texas gun law made it harder to tell good guys from bad

4. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Most firearms recovered by CPD have come into the city from out of state. They are purchased by strawbuyers in states with very lax, irresponsible regulations.

Most guns used in crime began their lives legal purchases, they aren't being conjured through magic and they aren't being built in garages.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Gun control is by design, asymmetrical.

6. XrayTed thread starter macrumors regular

XrayTed

I think they must somehow be getting weapons and ammo in an illicit fashion, much the same as mexican drug cartels.
    Drugs are at the root of much of the carnage going on in this continent, the lefties don't seem in a rush to address that either ,,, Almost as if they were content with the situation, and seek to distract attention from the real issues by BLAMING IT ALL ON WHITEY !

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

How many speeches do you think Obama should give on this issue? Four or five? Twenty? Once a month?

Because, he has spoken about the issue.

And, people with Black Lives Matter marched in Chicago on July 9.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2016 ---
    Actually, the New York Times investigated this issue and found that a majority of the weapons used in crimes in Chicago came from gun stores in Indiana.

Are you actually curious about this issue, or are you just trying to score political points?

8. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

It must be difficult to see out of the eye holes in that pointed hood.

As someone who grew up in Chicago, I can tell you that you can purchase guns legally by driving less than half an hour outside the city. Gun regulations don't work unless they are implemented on a state-wide or nation-wide level.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they need the Trump wall around their city.......

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The only places taking a serious stance on legalization are Bluish states. The Right-wing and conservatism in general has a long history of being the driving forces behind refer madness and prohibition in this country.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

How do you think Mega City One got started?

First, gun owners have argued previously that a gun is only a tool, and it's a cultural problem. In which case, Chicago's gun laws shouldn't matter.

In reality, this is a structural problem created any time we have a product outlawed in one state while available in another. Dry counties have bootlegging from wet counties. Counties with high taxation on cigarettes are fed by gray market shipments from low-taxed areas.

I'm actually a little unsure why BATFE can't review straw purchases in a more coherent way. It would seem that someone purchasing a dozen cheap .22 pistols in a year should be watched more closely to see if they're transferring guns from one state to another.

And, then arrest that person when he transfers the next cache of weapons. This can't be that hard and they should readily identify the gun stores that sell these and make sure they're following state and federal laws. If not, shut them down.

A robust and continuous operation would probably put a dent in gun sales in Chicago, and cull the number of available firearms.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The real question here is why so many black people think it is okay to shoot each other with a firearm. What makes poor black culture different from the other poor cultures

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Is poor black culture really that different? For all Chicago's violence, it's still far lower than it was in 1974 when 970 people were killed.

Accordingly to the wonderful site, Hey Jackass, which tracks Chicago's gun violence, when the race of the assailant is known, about 77.4 percent were black. Of those, 17.6 percent was hispanic and 5 percent were white/other.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Are you really concerned about Chicago violence, or you just concerned that BLM is prioritizing unjust police killings of blacks?

You have three choices ......

1) If you are truly concerned about Chicago or black on black violence ..... Then start your own activist group.

2)If you are just criticizing BLM for not prioritizing it ..... Then start your own activist group and stop telling others how to run their ship.

3) If you just want to rant for the sake of ranting cause you hate BLM for the sake of hating BLM ..... Then there is a forum called StormFront that would love your membership.

15. XrayTed thread starter macrumors regular

XrayTed

"Illicit sources" , just like I said.
    I didn't think they were beamed in from Mars or something, of course they are produced/purchased domestically and find their way into the hands of violent felons.

I am more than curious about this issue, I carry legally, travel and work in some rough neighborhoods, and its probably a matter of time before I stand my ground.
    Chronic violence committed by blacks [and others] is a major issue that needs to be addressed and measures taken to reduce it - Pandering, entitlements and murdering police officers is not the way to go about it.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No, legal sources across state lines.

17. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I'm a little surprised there isn't a more vocal group protesting gang violence considering a black male is like 5,000x more likely to be shot by another black male than by the police.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I think Detroit attacks shooting tourists. want to kill someone give them a free trip to Detroit and go take them out. want to know what its s like to murder and get away with it? Detroit is the place.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Who says blacks are silent about it? Do you know how many privately black ran organizations are doing everything they can to make a change?

It's not easy when drugs and illegal firearms are flooded in minority lower class neighborhoods. Not easy when politicians leave public schools severely underfunded and over crowded. Not easy when jobs are scarce. Not easy when a culture of being pacified and complacent with govt assistance seems to fall on a good portion from generation to generation. Not easy when law enforcement and the justice system treats them with bias. I can go on and on and on.

There are plenty of blacks that coming together and trying to help, but they are busy doing something about it from a financial, social, political, and etc way, versus protesting. Just cause you don't know or see, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You mostly likely won't know of any existence, cause it's barely covered by the media.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I never said they were silent, and I know there are thousands of hard working, community oriented organizations around the country working hard to improve the lives of the citizens in their communities. I didn't intend my comment to imply otherwise.

But I don't think I could name any of those groups off the top of my head, as they simply don't have the recognition compared to something like BLM. And that's kind of the problem, no? Should black people be content with the situation in their neighborhoods even if police never again killed another unarmed black male? Why is it we only hear about such things on a national scale when a police officer pulls the trigger? I'm not trying to discount the effort of those who are actively trying to make things better day in day out, just curious on why the same amount of effort expelled protesting isn't spent cleaning up neighborhoods and volunteering with gang prevention organizations. What makes BLM more worthy of the attention?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

From someone that grew up in a hood that was extremely crime ridden, I can tell you that people of any society good and bad become used to their environment. Not to say comfortable.. Problems within a person's own community is not alien to them. Now police officers, which are basically strangers with authority in low class minority communities, when they unjustly harass, arrest, physically abuse, or kill our own kind, that's alien.

Basically it's the same as whites not making a big deal about white on white rape, but let an undocumented immigrant rape a white person and it's "time to deport them all".

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah - they drive it down the interstate.

23. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I think it's just frustrating for many people on the outside looking in at these communities struggling with real issues to see so much effort expended on protesting the situation and asking for change, but then seeing no real will afterwards to effect long term solutions. Again, this isn't to dismiss the real issues of racial profiling and unwarranted shooting of black men by police, but if every person in one of the BLM protests took a few hours to volunteer for organizations needing the man power, or use social media to stir up the outrage needed to fix public schools in impoverished neighborhoods maybe we would see some actual positive change.

It's just to easy to become bitter and vilify the police, participate in a few marches, then go back home and do nothing until the next shooting and protest.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

IMO, it's religion and BS forgiveness that's the problem. BLM should have a much tighter structure and specific detailed goal, instead of having a vague loosely based goal filled with emotion. Leave the emotions and religion for the other groups and stragglers.

BlackLivesMatter is facing heavy resistance, not because of the protesting. Protesting is pretty much the norm. But it's because of the very name itself. BlackLivesMatter is one powerful name/phrase, and that name alone scares the crap out of conservatives, those that blindly support the police, and the racists.

If BLM cares about retaining that name for a good time to come and becoming a powerful activist group, then they better do something similar to what I mentioned above.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I mostly agree here, but Marijuana is just one drug. Short of legalizing and commercializing of all illicit substances (from cocaine to heroin to meth, and so on). While marijuana may may not have the most substantial impact on health and society relatively speaking, these other substances so.