Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
streamcicle1280.jpg

(there should be a witty comment here , but my train of thought seems to have been derailed)

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I may have to ring in sick on judging day.....this is too hard already
Start writing your thoughts down as the entries come in; that way you'll be more ready when the contest closes.
It still took me an hour to type up onto the forum though ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: akash.nu

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Start writing your thoughts down as the entries come in; that way you'll be more ready when the contest closes.
It still took me an hour to type up onto the forum though ;)

Hugh

That's what I do. Then someone comes along at the last minute and submits something that makes me have to change the ranking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hughmac and kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
OK, here we go. This is a tough one. Bit of a balance. One that the people who can move freely can do and also those who are chained to a desk or have to orbit home for whatever reasons.

I will try and be objective, I will try to be fair. There was punnage by the tonnage this week too. So to start off, I have to say that @Alexander.Of.Oz takes immediate prize for being this week pun-hun. So well done Alex.

Now onto the pictures…

@mollyc – a lovely image off of the back edge of Diamond head. A beautiful example of the gorgeous blue hue that the Pacific has and the lush green foliage of Oahu. I really like the image as it provokes memories of good times had. I suppose my criticism of the image is that there are so many beautiful elements in the image, the lighthouse, the azure waters, the clouds but no one subject stands out as it being an image of it if that makes sense?

@akash.nu – Lovely leading lines but as discussed earlier, the colour cast on the foreground and the hills in the background are distracting me. I like the tree, it is a great shape but wish you had crouched down and maybe got more of that rock in frame. On your updated entry, the water jets, great freezing of the motion and better colour consistency. I wish you had maintained a little more DoF to get more of the jets in.

@Janichsan – I like these rain drops on a window shots. I wonder if maybe it would have suited this image to crop the black on the right down a little to emphasise the orange and greny-yellow. I like the white line cutting across it. Gives it an abstract feel.

@MacRy – Fountains in the town centre. I like the texture of the water. You have captured a lovely amount of water frothiness. I just wish you had timed it a tad differently to maybe get more of the girls visible. The lady on the left looks like she is enjoying her lunch, lying down but we cannot see her.

@E3BK – Ooo.. nice reflections. Lovely detail in the branches of the trees wish you had managed to get the detail in the reflection in the sky too to balance it out. A lovely calm image.

@Hughmac – love it. Love the detail on the water droplets. Beautiful detail and a nice crop. Maybe a little too shallow on the DoF.

@Alexander.Of.Oz – Lovely, water repellent feather I presume? A nice capture of close up detail.

@The Bad Guy – Nice lighting, nice subject matter, discrete crop, SFW so no getting roasted by my kids this time, thank you. Maybe get rid of her fingers (electronically) in the bottom left as they draw the eye.

@someoldguy – Nice image of the cold snow and ice. I would have maybe got in closer to the icicles to emphasise them a little more but judging by the scene, that was a choice between cold wet feet or the shot and yes, it does look like an icy Newtons Cradle good catch MacRy.

@inkmich – I like this one, I like the light, the texture of the water between the rocks, the DoF is nice and the composition is good (IMHO) however, the leaf in the front is distracting a little and maybe the image just needs lifted slightly to make it pop.

@Robotti – Wow! An amazingly bright image like Neon signs in the 80s. I love the bubbles and the colours showing through them but I find the black in bottom left corner ever so slightly distracting.

@pmxperience – Gorgeous colours, lovely sunset, nice composition. It maybe could have been taken from a foot further to the right to make that nearest strut not dominate the image so much but nit picking aside, nice.

@truetray – Lovely waterfall. I love waterfall images. I find them so peaceful. This one looks like maybe it is a shallow gradient so almost a section of white water rapids. I can imagine a kayaker coming through there with a big grin on their face! Nice texture in the foreground and background and I am just thinking maybe the angle on the stream was a little too perpendicular, so it is confusing me (easily done) about the relative angles.

@Apple fanboy – I like this, I am amazed at these images that are timed to perfection. How many images did you have to take to get this one with the droplet in focus? Nice ripple pattern in the circles, Maybe think there is a little too much negative space but I really like these images.

@oblomow – Lovely rainbow, taken late afternoon by the look of it. I like how it communicates the flat terrain in the area.

@cogi0490 – Oh yes, love these. Nice capture of the water rushing in, smashing against the rocks. Maybe would have slowed it down a fraction to get more motion in there and maybe a lower angle on it.

@anotherscotsman – Love the minimalist effect here in this image. The leading lines of the ice cracks and the distant people across the way. Great effect, Lovely mood picture of what looks like a miserable cold day.

OK, so tough one to call but I have made up my mind. Here we go….

3rd place - @Hughmac for a great water droplet image

2nd place – @Robotti, I just think this is so funky abstract and vibrant and lively I have to go with it

1st place - @pmxperience I am going to award this one to you for the warm sunset and a nice evening view.

Congrats to the podium placements. A great set of images this week team, onwards onto the next one now. Over to you @pmxperience

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Woohoo ! Great stuff. Thanks for the podium, and congrats to the 1st and 2nd spots.

Really though, everybody won because the standard of entries was so high :)

Hugh

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
@E3BK – Ooo.. nice reflections. Lovely detail in the branches of the trees wish you had managed to get the detail in the reflection in the sky too to balance it out. A lovely calm image.

Thanks! This is actually a layered image. It was really dark and gloomy that day to be honest and I didn't have a tripod but managed to get 6 different exposures and combined them. One of my early attempts at true HDR.

Reactions: kenoh

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
My apologies for the puns, I'll try not to be such a drip for any upcoming rounds.

Well done to those that got onto the podium, I'm a bit miffed with myself for not actually getting around to doing something this week for this round, I had an idea in mind and shall visit it when I get the opportunity, but it's been flat out for me recently.

Looking forward to what Charles comes up with for the next round.

Ooh! I forgot to thank Ken, for his judging, hosting and appreciation of a bad pun. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.