Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
As you'll probably know, I love what I like to call "quiet landscapes" where less is more. I love the feeling of wonder, solitude and simplicity through a minimal or even surreal landscape or seascape image. Let's see what you can come up with. Here are a couple of my examples that might give you an idea of what I mean...

DSCF6110-Edit small MR.png
DSCF6158-Edit MR PL.png
Bench & Sky 4x3 small PL MR.png

Good luck!

The rules are as normal:

· The photographs must be your own work.

· Be creative and have fun.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· The contest runs for one week, starting NOW!

· At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

· Winners please update the Weekly Photo Contest Master thread

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
We only get to the beach once a year if we are lucky and since I have school aged kids, there is no such thing as a "quiet landscape" in my life. :eek: Plus, I'm usually too lazy to get up early enough for the long exposure type of images shown here, but I am going to make that a bucket list item.

In the meantime, I have this, which has quiet colors at least, and a glimpse of my family finding treasure in the water. This is as quiet as we get. ;)

FB_August_30_2016_001-2.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Competition closed. I'll try and get thorough, in depth feedback before the 48 hour deadline. I'm a busy guy just now and if I don't make the deadline, just do the usual but be assured I will provide feedback at some point.

Reactions: kenoh and Hughmac

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Competition closed. I'll try and get thorough, in depth feedback before the 48 hour deadline. I'm a busy guy just now and if I don't make the deadline, just do the usual but be assured I will provide feedback at some point.

Just keep us posted. We can wait a little longer as long as we know that you have not vanished.

Reactions: someoldguy

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Ok, the results are in and well done to everyone for working hard at what is a difficult challenge.
Now before I go any further, I have mentioned before and must stress that I'm not a huge fan of photography 'competitions' and never enter any (despite being a competitive sportsman and PE Teacher). I think here on the forum is the first time I've sort of decided to go against my usual stance and enter into anything competitive regarding photography. I'm also not a professional and what I say might be a load of old rubbish. Anyway, these are my opinions and no doubt some people will disagree, but I hope that ultimately, you find them to be helpful. Set some time aside to read through this post, it's going to be long...

@webbga - I like this image and can remember the days when I used to hunt for this sort of scene in my youth. Everyone loves a burning orange sunset and I like the timing of the boat intersecting with the sun's reflection. The foreground adds some interest and is fairly sparse so not overpowering. The image would also work without it so it's down to personal taste and what you prefer. One thing about landscapes that jump out immediately at me is horizons that aren't straight. If you straighten this up, you'd be surprised just how much better it will look visually. A good image, well done.

@kenoh - This sort of image is exactly what the "quiet landscape" is to me as it focusses on tone, contrast, shape and leading the eye around the image in an uncluttered fashion. When I saw this image it straight away had Michael Kenna spring to mind - quite the compliment! Exposure on the foreground is spot on but I can't help but think the sky is a little flat - but nature sometimes deals us that hand. I have one suggestion, and you may find that it might inspire you to print the image and hang it on the wall. Go for a 1:1 square crop, eliminating the negative space on the left hand side. It works, trust me. One last thing, clone out or spot heal the wee dot leading to the poles to avoid it being a distraction. A very good image that I feel will look better (to me anyway) with the crop. Well done!

@Alexander.Of.Oz - An image that strikes a chord with me and had my attention right away. Great exposure with the high key, clean and minimal look with smooth tones. There is a "flow" to the image where my eye sweeps across, taking in the rough textures and the smooth set against a well toned sea that does not distract, but separates the foreground and sky. As you know, I love a square 1:1 crop and I feel this image also works with the left hand side cropped out and with a bit less sky. Try it and see, you may be surprised how it still flows nicely. I'd also maybe clone out the footsteps on the sand on the left. I can imagine this printed and framed on a thin black frame with an ice-white mount for depth. Do it! This is a "quiet landscape" and I love how my eye flows around the scene.

@Hughmac - This is a scene I'd actually quite like to see in person. I like the image, especially the subtle golden light hitting the main pole. This is a quiet landscape and like the mood created by the colour and tonal range in the cloud, adding an almost unsettling, moody look. If it was possible to revisit, try a couple of minutes exposure to flatten the water out and create a smooth look in the cloud (if it was moving quickly) The flattening of the texture and tones would create an ethereal image. Well done.

@VIPmediastar - A low key approach to a minimal shot that I don't see to often, but I like it. I am a big fan of using curves in an image to lead the eye and you have done this well here. The simple, empty sky along with the long exposure to flatten the water somewhat means the eye is not distracted by texture and follows where the contrast is - the rocks, which leads the eye through the image. I'm torn between this next comment - I'm not a fan of electricity pylons, telegraph poles, wires or streetlights in images and I tend to avoid a scene where they are or if I have to include them, I'll clone them out later. The streetlights in your image actually aid with taking the eye through the image so in this case, they are a positive. One last thing, I'd clone out the blurry boat. Great image though, well done.

@someoldguy - This jumped out at me straight away as I scrolled through because it is something different. Compositionally, this is very good because symmetrical or near symmetrical images work well with the main focus being placed centrally. It is well exposed and the viewpoint has compressed the background enough to create a nice dividing line between the sandy textures and streaky clouds. This is also helped with the focus falling off through the image, making the plant / grass pop out and be centre stage, but not in an overpowering manner. The linear textures in the sand are very intriguing - if nature did that then I'd like to see it happen to the bunkers on my local golf course, to save me raking so many during a round ;) One thing I'd like to see is the sand horizon straightened slightly. A really inspired, original photo that deserves to be printed and framed to really appreciate the depth of field, a monitor won't do it true justice. Well done!

@mollyc - Despite you being unsure if this image qualifies - it does if you think it does. It's a great, punchy image with a good composition and it is well exposed. There are a few things compositionally that I really like about this photo: 1) The main subjects are placed on a power point within the thirds. 2) The people don't intersect with the background and contrast against one of the brighter tonal zones of the image. 3) The horizon is not placed along the middle of the photo. 4) The main cloud points towards the people who are the main subject, and assist in leading the eye in that direction. 5) I find that the slight curve helps stop the eye deviating away from the subject when it is there, a good thing. I'm not a fan of footprints in landscape photos, but this would take a long time to fix and I don't think that's the point of the image! One thing I'd clone out is the big pole that is in the distance and peeks above the horizon. This is a great family snap that suits the saturation levels and colour palette to create a happy, relaxed feeling of freedom. Well done!

@deep diver - This is a place I'd love to visit with my Fuji GX617 panoramic film camera. It is a grand vista, something I really like and desire to photograph. I love the layered approach to this image and the sheer scale on display. The converging lines of the landscape keep the eye feeding into the middle of the image which is good for exploring the shapes on display: rectangle (foreground) triangles (first trees) rhombus (secondary trees and hills). This is a visual treat, strengthened with the shot being taken at the best time of day for soft, subdued light. The only thing that catches my eye negatively is the buildings on the rhombus tree section in the mid ground. I'd clone them out to create less of a distraction. This is a great image, well done.

@Indydenny - This is a lovely, peaceful image and I enjoy the tree silhouettes acting as a framing device for the main boat. This is also helped with the vignette effect, meaning the eye stays in the place it should. If I'm being picky, I'd clone out the flowers on the bench. There is enough nearby source material to do this successfully, including filling in the bench. Add the pole on the jetty to the 'clone it out' list and I think the image will be improved. It is well balanced and I love the colours on display. Well done.

@malofx - I love seeing images of this sort of area. I'd love to visit it myself as there is so much potential for quiet landscapes in that type of landscape. Maybe one day. This is a very well thought out image with great technical exposure. The composition is well thought out and the leading line is a clever device to take the eye of the person in the frame to show the sheer scale of what lies before her. I love a layered landscape and with the rocks formations jutting up into the other layers and contrasting with them tonally, it creates a pop and draws further attention to the vastness of the landscape. A very good image and you clearly know what you are doing with a camera. The only thing I don't like is the tyre tracks in the immediate foreground, could a crop work here? Possibly but I'll leave that up to you :) Well done!

@MacRy - An interesting take on the quiet landscape and almost in the literal sense! This is a well exposed image with a great composition and something else I love -a straight horizon!. It has plenty of "looking space" on the left to aid the subjects direction of sight. The progression of texture from rough in the background to smooth sky is clever and achieved with the depth of field blurring the water in just the right amount to aid the progression. This ensures that the subject stands out by intersecting only the middle third, which creates nice balance. A simple, well thought out image that is effective. Well done!

@Janichsan - Great to see an entry taken on film :) This is a simple image that does have a good use of shape, but I feel the texture overpowers the sweeping lines of the layered landscape, despite the two sections of land having different textures. It would be interesting to see this scene shot on a hazier evening, where the texture would be more subdued and where the layering would become more apparent. It's a scene with great potential and a good image in it's own right. Well done.

@Foogoofish - This is a powerful, ominous image that is oozing drama, with the narrow tonal range and grainy, rough effect. I like the sense of wonder here, and the Crepuscular rays really are the star of the show. There is just a hint of a layered landscape to give the impression of scale. I'm not a fan of overly darkened skies personally, but I do appreciate the technique of editing skies to be very dark is an artistic device to create the dramatic effect. It works in this image. Too much is said these days about overblown highlights, but again in this image it works to a great effect. I read an article in Outdoor Photography recently about "capturing the sublime" in the sense of natures harsh power and grandeur of the landscape. This ticks the box. Well done.

@Susurs - This is a simple, quiet image and I really like the colour palette on display. The sharp focus coupled with the shallow and soft depth of field with the background creates a good visual effect. The layering of the soft colours in the background do not overpower the main subject and credit to you for not going overboard with the saturation, it would be easy to oversaturate and reduce the effect of the soft colour. I particularly like how the main subject silhouette curves around towards the sun, almost as if it is giving way to the light. As I sit here typing this, the sun has just burst out in a similar fashion, bathing the garden in soft orange light as it is diffused through the low cloud. Coincidence? Who knows! Great image, well done.

@Apple fanboy - This is a great image and I have been on the look out for a scene similar to this for a shot I've had in my mind's eye for a while. This is a beautifully exposed image and has the sort of light that I hope for when I tread out with my camera. One thing I think could improve this already fantastic image is a 1:1 square crop, that will eliminate the right hand side. Try it, you'll be surprised how well it works. It is your decision at the end of the day. I'm not going to say too much more about this image because what more needs to be said? Very good, well done.

@AllergyDoc - I really like the sense of scale and depth in this image. It is well exposed and for all the talk of not placing subjects centrally this certainly works. The boat makes this image work because without it, the viewer would not be able to take in just how vast the scene is. It's a great visual device. That water looks very deep as it's not reflecting much of the blue light from the sky! A great image, well done.

So, here we have the placings and it wasn't easy:

1st: @Alexander.Of.Oz

2nd: @kenoh

3rd joint: @someoldguy and @Apple fanboy

It's taken a while to write this and I hope everyone finds it useful.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Fantastic review and well done AofO, a tremendous shot.

Thank you for tsking the time to review our images in such depth fantastic thank you. We are happy you have decided to enter i to the weekly challenges and thats what they are to me certainly. I am off to try the crop on my image. Yes the sky is flat but that is a featureless dreich Loch Lomond day for you :) i love how the hills on the far side hint at showing some detail. Chuffed to bits with the runner up spot thank you.

Props to foogoofish for the drama in your image, love it

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks for the detailed comments. I actually tried to get a long exposure but for some reason the camera stopped playing and wouldn't enter bulb mode.
It's only 8 miles away so I will be revisiting ;)

Congratulations to the winners; excellent shots all round :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.