Weekly Photo Contest: April 22 – April 29 — “Night Lights”

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Susurs, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Looking for some dusk/night scenes of objects emitting light(s)in the scene, where the light is not originating from natural source (moon/stars, etc.). More - industrial lights - abstract or not, can be light-trails, fireworks as well...

09386711-0A70-47BB-801D-554FDEF8FDCB.jpeg 0F3E6C7C-EE71-4BC1-8972-5CF407B91A8F.jpeg 173CE21D-F6D1-4B29-9887-A51AA6EA44C4.jpeg C28F1191-BB8E-457B-8972-7FA8A32B0C42.jpeg

The rules:

· The photographs must be your own work.

· Be creative and have fun.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· The contest runs for a week and starts now!

· At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

· Please update the Weekly Contest Master List when you post a new contest.

Good luck everyone and looking forward to seeing what you can do with the theme.

2. someoldguy macrumors 68000

3. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Argh… the indecision… I just have too many nighttime shots.

I guess, I'll pitch in… this one?

[​IMG]

4. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

Here is one I took a few years ago while visiting Annecy France. Annecy is one of those place you can just point your camera in any direction and can't go wrong.

France.jpg

5. mollyc macrumors 68000

Well, I go to bed at like 9:30 most nights, and my kids are still youngish, so I don't get out much. :eek: I have very few night time shots, although I love the idea of them. This one was taken pretty much at my bedtime when we were away on spring break, still waiting for a very late dinner.

FB_March_31_2018_001.jpg

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

7. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Taken the other night in the city. Not too shabby considering it's taken at 1/10 of a second, handheld and with no image stabilisation built in to this lens.

The reflective glass bit going up and over is a footbridge and this section has a waterfall coming out the end of it, just out of frame on the left.

[​IMG]
    Canon 6D, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Aperture Priority
    ISO 6400, 17mm, f/9, 1/10

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

fireworks 1a resize.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2018 ---
    That's just bragging. o_O

9. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

What can I say?! :D

10. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

11. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Ok, going to close the contest in around 12 hours. :)

12. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

[​IMG]

Clock Tower, Gravesend
    by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

This clock tower was built in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee: the foundation stone was laid by the then mayor on 6 September 1887; the official opening on 5 June 1888 was conducted by Mayor H Berkowitz (headmaster of the Jewish Academy, Tivoli House). Architect was John Johnson, who had collaborated with Alfred Messon on the Alexandra Palace, and the clock's specification was by Lord Grimthorpe who had also had responsibilty for Big Ben. A telegram was sent to Queen Victoria at Balmoral on that latter day.

Sony RX100, 1/25 @ f/1.8, ISO 1600

Cheers :)

Hugh

13. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Ok, the contest is closed now. Results will follow within 24h. ;)

14. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

Darn, I was just about to post a picture! Oh well.

:apple:

15. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Susurs gets to decide, but it's only 8 minutes and we are a pretty flexible bunch. Give it a go.

16. Susurs, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Thank you all for the great entries! I would like to have more than 3 “medals” to give but, well....the rules are the rules.

@Clix Pix

Like the scene here. Especially the water reflections. It makes extra added value to the image. A bit of noise but that’s what we have to deal with when it’s dark.

@inkmich

Was it some kind of a light festival? We have one in my city which is a tradition and happens yearly. Nice image and thank you for the entry!

@akash.nu

Should be hard to capture a moving subject within the dark scene... What gear did you use to take this picture?

@someoldguy

Very nice image! I hoped that someone would submit long exposure photo of car lights to this contest. Thank you! Always wanted to try one of these kind of scenes myself... but… for now I did not had a chance yet.

@pmxperience

Like the idea that the photograph is somewhere far aside, far “behind the scenes” - The reminds me a look through some “portal” to another world, evening life. Nice!

@Janichsan

This is one of the images I really like for this kind of competition. Reflections add some abstract feeling to it. Well done! Great, clear image. Industrial lights...

@Precision Gem

Truth. I have been to those small French towns (Unfortunately, without my camera at that time). You can not go wrong there. What was inside that building/castle? Again, without reflections in the water the image would have lost it’s “magic”.

@mollyc

Nice composition. A bit of noise but that does not interfere a lot. Did you maybe consider going to one of those events there?

@Apple fanboy

Symmetrical horizontally as well as vertically (reflections). The image is clear, putting emphasis on the lit objects just where it is needed.

@Alexander.Of.Oz

So many bright colors. And not too much. Not interfering with each other but creating a nice composition. Great job!

@deep diver

Fireworks are hard to capture. And there is, probably, not a lot of possibilities/time for training. Tried myself - 5 minutes and everything is gone. Nice try. A bit too much noise, but well, ... fireworks. ;)

@triptolemus

Could not figure - this is a business center, right? Still working hours? That camera had to capture a lot of detail in this image :) Which city is it?

@The Bad Guy

Great HDR scene. Instantly reminded me of the "Gothem" theme. :) Really love this one! Shadows and mystery.

@kenoh

Is there a water in the background? Is it somewhere in the North Europe? Really nice play with the shadows! Makes me wonder what is happening in there, in the building... :)

@oblomov

Another “Industrial lights” example. Trains/railroad allways has it’s own special feeling...Especially at night.

@bd4

Street art! Can’t really tell whether it’s a night or a dark tunnel. But no difference - Nice image! Absence of color just makes it better.

@Hughmac

Love those specifically lit objects. It helps to create all the beauty @ night in a city. Thank you! P.S. Only 10:30...Where are all the people? ;)

Time to do it...

3rd place: Precision Gem;

2nd place: Janichsan;

1st place: The Bad Guy (Really great HDR/Scene)

Special mentions: @someoldguy for the car light light trails, @Apple fanboy for the symmetrical great image...

P.S. @SRLMJ23 - The winners are determined for this time already but, for sure - you are more than welcome to post an image in this thread. Art will always be a value here!

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Congratulations to the three winners!!! The first-place winner in particular is really an absolutely stunning image and definitely deserves all the accolades available!