Weekly Photo Contest (Aug. 18-25): Sports / Action & Adventure

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JDDavis, Aug 18, 2013.

1. JDDavis, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

Theme: Sports / Action & Adventure

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment or use voting button on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

2. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Playing with the cat on one of the boys beds. I love how the closest eye is perfectly sharp and the rest of the frame has so much movement.

[​IMG]

ISO 25,600, f/22, 1/4 Sec, 40mm

3. Springsteen macrumors member

Springsteen

[​IMG]

Taken some time ago during a local sailing competition.
    Never got happy with the light in this picture, but maybe someone else will see some charm in it?

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I'm not saying I think you'll pick me, but IF you do, let someone else win. I wouldn't be very good at coming up with an idea for the next week. Haha.

[​IMG]

6. kabriDWL macrumors newbie

A different kind of Family Reunion

Established in 1977, our Family Reunion takes a unique approach to celebrating kinship by gathering annually for an individual athletic competition. Here's a photo atop the Men's Division Rope Climb: 18 ft in sub 5seconds! 8/10/2013

Camera: GoPro Hero 3, Burst Mode 10/2 seconds.

[​IMG]

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Spring Midget Football. Age 16-17.

Attached Files:

8. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

9. themumu, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Part of my most epic (thus far) motorcycle adventure. Taken on a section of Newfoundland's old railway trail in the remote interior of the island, somewhere between Deer Lake and Grand Falls-Windsor. The nearest inhabited communities are about an hour and half in either direction. Remote and gorgeous.

[​IMG]
    Newfoundland T'Railway by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

10. pmxperience macrumors regular

pmxperience

11. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Took at a high school track meet a while back. Love the stance.

Attached Files:

12. Indydenny, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

14. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

15. fireman32, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

fireman32 macrumors 6502a

for some strange reason i cant embed images from Flicker. All it does is show the code. Any idea's?

16. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Somewhere in Tarangire NP , Tanzania...Not much action , but definately an adventure.

[​IMG]

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

18. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

[​IMG]
    Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
    Exposure: 1/50
    Aperture: f/8
    Focal Length: 25 mm
    ISO Speed: 400

19. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

OK. Contest is closed. Back in a few with results. Won't be easy.

20. JDDavis, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Great submissions again. There were some really great shots and it was tough to make a decision on this one.

ijohn.8.80 I like the composition and the ghost like movement of everything. It may be the image size I'm looking at online but I'm not sure if the eye is perfectly sharp or not. A little sharper at least around the cats face may help but I think it's a really neat capture.

Springsteen I like the composition and the placement of the horizon. Since the boat is leaning with the wind you do get a sense of action. The clouds are definitely blown out though and that does pull the eye away from the sail boat. Have you tried B&W? Sometimes it seems to help the blown highlights and I think B&W works well with boats.

salacious Very cool. The trees and the leaves covering the ground as well as your subject matter remind me of a scene in the movie Hero. I really like the background together with your subject. The subject is nicely in focus as well. It seems like this might have been shot at mid day? I'd try morning or afternoon light so the sky isn't so blown out. Also, not being able to see the guys face in the back is distracting. Maybe there's another way to hold the sword?

cocky jeremy Can't come up with an idea? That's not living up to your screen name… Regardless, I think it's a great shot. It's sharp but the action/motion is clearly there. I like that I can see the runners face and eyes and I like the tackler reaching for the ball. Great moment.

kabriDWL Awesome shot. I love those GoPro cameras. At first I didn't notice that you had the camera on a pole and thought it was in the tree. It's hard to control the exposure on these things (not really a lot of settings) but this is a very creative shot and you captured a perfect moment with the climber.

firedept Nice color on the field and the players The fence and the sky are kind of distracting to me. Didn't notice the snow on the ground at first. That explains why the uniforms are so clean…must have just started. It's a nice pic but I'm not sure the composition is doing it for me.

28Fiend Shots in full turn like that are cool. I think they work from either the front or the back. I think the super narrow/wide crop king of takes away from the pic though. It looks cool with the arc wide but maybe the foreground and background are what doesn't work so wide?

themumu An adventure for sure. I'm jealous. I like the composition with the road on one side and as a leading line. The rider kind of blends in to the background though since you are just a small part of the pic. If the theme was landscape I wouldn't bring it up but since this theme is action/adventure I think the rider should be larger in the image.

truettray That's cool. Obviously this was set up and planned out but it's a great moment to capture. The action is frozen very well but still implied. I do like the dismal setting but for some reason the jacket is not working for me. Don't know why, maybe because I'm assuming he's the bad guy?

pmxperience Neat shot. The runner is not completely sharp any where but I think that adds to the kinda chaotic nature of the pic which makes it interesting. A tight composition works well with this pic and I like the emotion on the runners face. Nice job.

besler3035 B&W works here and adds to the tension a bit. Nice job freezing the action and it is a cool stance. The strange thing is that this meet looks like it is in someone's back yard. Is that a pool slide back there? I wonder if shooting from straight on would've isolated the jumper from the background a little?

Indydenny Actually, my family just did that this morning. You do have four different emotions going on there it seems. I wish the big kid in the back had his eyes open.

DirtySocks85 I like the light and a it's a neat capture in mid stride with only one foot on the rope. I would have liked to crop some more off the bottom but obviously you can't with where it's on the rope at the moment.

deep diver Great composition, it works in tight and the wide crop accentuates the point in the swim stroke well. My only complaint is that it's not sharp enough to really zero in on the swimmer. My guess is much like me at gymnastics events the lens isn't long enough and you cropped a lot? Great composition though.

fireman32 Sorry you couldn't get yours to work. I didn't notice till after I had started judging.

someoldguy That's an awesome adventure. For the contest though…it doesn't really have an interesting subject to zero in on. No one is facing you and I can't see what they are looking at.

Apple fanboy Sure it qualifies. I like the wide crop and the background. I just wish the dog had been in focus. Too fast for the camera!

NeGRit0 Very nice. I like the little bit of blur but the subject is still in good focus especially with the emotion on his face. Nice composition, the skater is really jumping out of the pic. I might crop out just a little of the negative space up above but overall this is great. Nice flash too.

3rd Place - pmxperience - Taking a pic at a kids football game that doesn't look like a snapshot is tough. Props to you for really capturing the action in an interesting way.

2nd Place - NeGRit0 - Great action in the shot. The skater is really perfectly composed and the blur adds to the action. Nice.

1st Place - kabriDWL - The win goes to an action shot that grabbed a perfect moment and was very creative in the process.

It's on to you kabriDWL for the next one.

21. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Thank you. I was thinking the same about cropping, but didnt want to ruin the aspect ratio.

Congrats kabri, and well done to everyone who entered. :)

22. pmxperience macrumors regular

pmxperience

Thanks a lot! Great job judging this week!

23. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Congrats kabriDWL! Was an awesome shot.

JDDavis, thank you for your comments. I am real amateur at this photo thing.

It was actually late in the Midget season, May. Our midgets play from beginning of April to end of May. Reason for clean uniforms is due to the fact that it is still winter here in Alberta at that time of year, and all game are played on artificial turf. That snow was still around in June. Fence is to keep people off the fields during non playing times. Artificial turf is extremely expensive.

Really appreciate the comments though. One day I may actually get a good photo entered. But oh so much to learn!

24. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Good job on the judging

Congrats to kabriDWL. Nice perspective for that shot.

As for my rubbish effort I don't think it's the camera to blame, just the rubbish operator! I was actually shooting the landscape when the dog ran through my shot. I didn't have time to tweak the settings, so just shot anyway. I don't see a lot of action or sports with my photography.

Looking forward to the next one.