Weekly Standard magazine shut down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Clarity Media is complete scum. And to do it right before Christmas. No matter what anyone says the magazine was canned because it didn’t bow down to Heir Trump. Also Clarity could have sold it, there were buyers, but they refused to. Why? So they could harvest the subscriber base. I know a lot of people on the right hate Bill Kristol (who has kind of jumped the shark in the Trump era) but he wasn’t even running the magazine at this point. The people that were, were solid conservatives who just happened to not be Trump sycophants. Sad.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/...s&utm_source=onesignal&utm_campaign=automated

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

know your audience, most of the lame mean stream media is already negative on trump . why would anyone pay money to hear harsh truths when most people are looking for bias confirmation? if CNN started telling the truth about Obama & Hillary they would lose plenty of viewers.....

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

The sad thing is it shouldn’t be about Trump. Weekly Standard was a conservative magazine. Not a Republican Party or Donald Trump magazine. The only reason National Review hasn’t suffered the same fate is they cynically chose to pander to the populism infesting the GOP base. On balance I think Rich Lowry is a good guy but William F Buckley would be spinning in his grave over the direction the magazine has taken.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

was it print? I see most print magazines going the way of the doo doo bird......

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I believe it was print and digital. The owners just want to harvest the subscriber base for their new Washington Examiner magazine. I feel bad for the editors of that magazine. They have nothing to do with this but will get blamed for it anyway.

Anyway there’s a lot of good writers there who I’m sure will get picked up by somebody. If CNN was smart it would hire some of these folks and become a real independent news organization. Leave the constant Trump bashing to MSNBC and praising to Fox News. Who needs two ultra left news organizations going after the same demographic? The demographic not being served right now are center-right and independents who don’t worship at the shrine of Trump and are sick of cable news 24/7 coverage of all things Trump.

6. hulugu, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's the same rapaciousness that has been eating up local newspapers. Hedge funds buy them up, wring them for profits by firing staff and cutting costs, and then abandon the husk, acting as if the business model wasn't sustainable.

Print and digital magazines are a tough business, but I always respected the Weekly Standard, and it's sad to see a magazine go.

And, the Washington Examiner is garbage, akin to the Moonie Times.

Just recently, one of their *******s decided to repeat a statement from one of the agencies, as "breaking" 24 hours after the statement had been published, which referenced a thing that happened early the morning it was distributed.

If you're 36 hours late, you can't call something "breaking" and that's just the first problem I had with her reporting.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

washington examiner is biased right for sure. CNN is about as biased as the W.E.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Man, can anyone even read the Examiner? I just tried one article and the page re-loaded something like six times before I could scroll to the second paragraph. Why are the RW sites so badly coded?

9. jerwin macrumors 68020

I think you're using the wrong criterion to judge a newspaper.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

:eek:

11. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

No surprise the tweet from Trump there, since Kristol was at ground zero of the Never Trumps and stayed there. Trump takes political dissent as a personal slight and even halfway through his term in office he seems to regard it as a personal threat. If Kristol or his article contributors in the Weekly Standard had ever made arguments that could have benefited Trump's administration or the future of the Republican Party, I'm sure Trump never read them. Just the name of the magazine would have been enough to trigger a rant like that tweet...

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

To me, this speaks to the growing uncivilized party the Conservatives have become. It used to be that even when you disagreed with the party, they still held steadfast to their core beliefs in family values, fiscal responsibility, etc. and they were respected for that.

This is NOT today's Republican party, this is why you see people like Kristol standing his ground against Trump and this administration. Rarely are disagreements between Democrats and Republicans about actual policies these days, at least that had some decorum to it, it's all about the takeover and hijacking of the entire political system by a corrupt businessman.

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I have a lot of complaints about Kristol and the Weekly Standard, but I think they deserve credit for not reversing course on Trump and backing him after being critical during the earlier stages on the 2016 campaign. A lot of conservative media outlets (such as Fox News and the Daily Caller) spent much of 2015 arguing that Trump was unfit for the office, only to do a 180 when he was nominated and elected. The Weekly Standard remained steadfast in pointing out how unqualified and unfit he was.

The reaction of the conservative media to Trump reminds me of the fable of The Emperor Has No Clothes, except in this version, the people kill the kid who points out that the emperor is naked and then continue with their mass delusion.

14. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Bill Kristol is too busy grooming a war hawk Democrat (because the republican brand is shot) to take on Trump (to continue the neocon foreign policy we’ve been running unabated for two decades now) to run his ****** magazine.

His resistance to Trump is that Trump is too stupid to play along, nothing more than that.

Never forget he was instrumental in the propaganda campaign of lies to bring us into Iraq.

15. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yep, basically as soon as Trump is gone he'll be back to his same old tactics. That being said, at least it was just a policy disagreement in those days, things are so much uglier now.

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

He hasn’t stopped his tactics, he just launched the Foreign Policy Initiative last year. What I described (grooming a candidate) is exactly what they’re doing. It was simply a soft relaunch of PNAC.

Kristol is the kind of power that stays influential in Washington regardless of the party in power. The Kagan clan for that matter as well.