Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Weird browser issue in Chrome & Safari

nshinka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Hey everyone,

I've got a customer on macOS El Capitan who has an issue in Chrome & Safari with a certain website (behind a login) where tickboxes don't work on some pages on that website. When clicking the tickbox nothing happens. There's other weird minor issues as well such as websites show as unsecure (no SSL cert) even though they show as secure on a different browser, but the tickbox issue is the main one.

The issue doesn't happen in Chrome on another Mac also running El Capitan.

I downloaded Firefox onto the customer's computer (they had never used Firefox before) and it worked fine.

So I'm assuming this must be related to some cache somewhere on the Mac that is screwing things up. I've deleted Chrome + deleted the Chrome application support folder in ~/Library and installed a fresh copy of Chrome however the issue remains.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try? Are there other directories apart from application support where Chrome caches data? Are any of these Mac Cleaner apps any good to try?

The customer can use the website fine in Firefox, but it's just annoying me that I can't solve this issue :confused: lol. It's super confusing because both Safari + Chrome having the issue would imply there's a shared cache causing the issue, however Firefox doesn't have the issue.

Thanks!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
Have you tried clearing Safari caches: Safari->Preferences...->Advanced->Show Develop menu in menu bar, Develop->Empty Caches.

nshinka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Have you tried clearing Safari caches: Safari->Preferences...->Advanced->Show Develop menu in menu bar, Develop->Empty Caches.

Yeah, I tried clearing the Safari cache as well via the Developer's Menu and it didn't make any difference. I also use OnyX to clear all browser/Internet caches.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
Check for any Safari extensions loaded. Could also be the case where there is an incompatibility with some websites and Safari. Check if a newer version of Safari has the same issue. You would need to use maybe a Mac running Catalina 10.15. That won't help your client out though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.